Off center hole in a current-carrying wire - magnetic field?

In summary, the problem involves a long copper rod with an off-center cylindrical hole that is carrying a current of 900 amps. The direction and strength of the magnetic field at a point P on the axis of the outer cylinder is being determined. By using superposition and taking into account the current density, it is found that the magnetic field due to the small cut-out cylinder is 3*10^-3 tesla. The magnetic field due to the large cylinder is zero at the center, but can be calculated using a suitable derivation for the field inside a current carrying wire.
RyanP

Homework Statement

A long copper rod 8 cm in diameter has an off-center cylindrical hole 4 cm in diameter down its full length. This conductor carries a current of 900 amps flowing in the direction “into the paper.” What is the direction, and strength in tesla, of the magnetic field at the point P that lies on the axis of the outer cylinder?

(To clarify, point P is in the center of the big cylinder, and the small cut-out cylinder is tangent to the edge of the big cylinder and touches point P at the top).

Homework Equations

B(r) = mu*I / 2pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

I used superposition of currents, saying that the cut out cylinder is equivalent to a cylinder carrying 900 A out of the page superposed on the big cylinder carrying 900 A into the page.

The magnetic field due to the small superposed cylinder is mu*900 / (2pi*0.02) = 9*10^11 T.

I didn't know how to handle the magnetic field from the big cylinder, however, since point P is at the center, which means r=0. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanP said:
B(r) = mu*I / 2pi*r
That is only valid outside the wire. The situation inside is analogous to the gravitational field inside the Earth.

You might want to think about the proposed current in the smaller cylinder. Consider the current density for the actual current in the compromised cylinder.

For the magnetic field due to the large (intact) cylinder you might get away with a hand-wavy symmetry argument, or, look up "The field inside a current carrying wire". You should find a suitable derivation. It depends on both the wire's overall radius and the radial position from the center of the wire.Edit: Ah. @haruspex beat me to the post!

I tried this again soon after posting with a slightly different strategy:

I put B in terms of current density, so B(r) = mu*J*r/2. J = 900/(pi * [0.04^2 - 0.02^2]) = 750,000/pi. Thus I treat the small cut out as J=-750,000/pi.B due to the big cylinder = 0 since r=0. B due to the small cylinder = mu*Jr/2 = 3*10^11 tesla. Does this sound right?

RyanP said:
I tried this again soon after posting with a slightly different strategy:

I put B in terms of current density, so B(r) = mu*J*r/2. J = 900/(pi * [0.04^2 - 0.02^2]) = 750,000/pi. Thus I treat the small cut out as J=-750,000/pi.
How do you justify the current magnitudes being the same? Shouldn't the smaller cylinder be carrying what is "cut out" from the larger one if the current density were the same throughout?
edit: never mind. You're using current density! D'uh! Move along, nothing to see here...
B due to the big cylinder = 0 since r=0. B due to the small cylinder = mu*Jr/2 = 3*10^11 tesla. Does this sound right?
That's an awful lot of teslas. The order of magnitude looks much too large to me. What value are you using for μ?

gneill said:
How do you justify the current magnitudes being the same? Shouldn't the smaller cylinder be carrying what is "cut out" from the larger one if the current density were the same throughout?
edit: never mind. You're using current density! D'uh! Move along, nothing to see here...

That's an awful lot of teslas. The order of magnitude looks much too large to me. What value are you using for μ?
Oops - it actually comes out to 3*10^-3 tesla (30 gauss). That makes more sense

:smile:

1. How does an off center hole in a current-carrying wire affect the magnetic field?

When a current-carrying wire has an off center hole, the magnetic field is affected because the current is no longer evenly distributed around the hole. This creates a non-uniform current density and therefore a non-uniform magnetic field.

2. Can an off center hole in a current-carrying wire change the direction of the magnetic field?

Yes, an off center hole can change the direction of the magnetic field. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the curl of the fingers indicates the direction of the magnetic field. With an off center hole, the current is no longer evenly distributed and therefore the direction of the magnetic field can change.

3. How does the size of the off center hole affect the magnetic field in a current-carrying wire?

The size of the off center hole can have a significant effect on the magnetic field in a current-carrying wire. A larger hole will result in a larger non-uniform current density and therefore a stronger deviation from the original magnetic field. A smaller hole will have a smaller effect on the magnetic field.

4. Is the magnetic field affected by the location of the off center hole in a current-carrying wire?

Yes, the location of the off center hole can affect the magnetic field in a current-carrying wire. The closer the hole is to the center of the wire, the less deviation there will be from the original magnetic field. However, the closer the hole is to the edge of the wire, the greater the effect on the magnetic field.

5. How does the current strength in a wire with an off center hole affect the magnetic field?

The current strength in a wire with an off center hole can have a significant effect on the magnetic field. A higher current will result in a stronger magnetic field overall, but the deviation from the original magnetic field due to the off center hole will also be stronger. A lower current will result in a weaker magnetic field and a smaller deviation from the original field.