Ok, how should I go about this one?

• Thread starter matt85
  • Start date
In summary, a small plastic ball suspended in a uniform, horizontal electric field with a magnitude of 10^3 N/C is in equilibrium when the string makes a 30 ° angle with the vertical. To find the net charge on the ball, Coloumb's Law can be used by identifying all forces acting on the ball and setting up equations for equilibrium, analyzing the x and y components separately.
matt85
Pendulum

A small 12.00g plastic ball is suspended by a string in a uniform, horizontal electric field with a magnitude of 10^3 N/C. If the ball is in equilibrium when the string makes a 30 ° angle with the vertical, what is the net charge on the ball?

Q = _________ C

I know Coloumb's Law, and I assume I want to implement it here somehow, however I don't know where to begin on setting this one up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, and here is the visual.

Attachments

• pic.gif
    pic.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 567
The ball is in equilibrium. What does that tell you?

That there is no force acting on it?

No, that isn't exactly the definition of equilibrium.

Equilibrium is when there is no _net_ force acting on it.

matt85 said:
That there is no force acting on it?
That there's no net force acting on it. Or, in other words: The net force is zero.

Start by identifying all the forces acting on the ball, then set up the equations for equilibrium. (Analyze the x and y components separately.)

1. How do I start my experiment?

The first step is to clearly define your research question or hypothesis. Then, design your experimental procedure and gather all necessary materials and equipment.

2. What are the variables in my experiment?

Variables are factors that can affect the outcome of your experiment. There are three types: independent, dependent, and controlled. Independent variables are changed by the researcher, dependent variables are what is being measured, and controlled variables are kept constant throughout the experiment.

3. How many trials should I conduct?

The number of trials you conduct will depend on the complexity of your experiment and the amount of data needed to support your conclusions. Generally, the more trials you conduct, the more reliable your results will be.

4. How do I analyze my data?

Data analysis involves organizing, interpreting, and drawing conclusions from your experimental results. This can be done through various statistical methods or visual representations such as graphs or charts. Make sure to thoroughly analyze your data and consider any possible sources of error.

5. What are the ethical considerations in conducting this experiment?

As a scientist, it is important to consider the potential impact of your research on the environment, animals, and human participants. Make sure to follow ethical guidelines and obtain any necessary approvals before conducting your experiment.