Who is the Old Giant in the Rotterdam Park?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the old giant in the park is a replica of the Anancus avernensis, a sculpture made by Remie Bakker based on detailed fossil evidence. The event is youtubeable, but pictures will not be released until 3 June, when the Museum reopens and the replica will be on permanent display.
Andre
That's the translation of this short news clip that has been broadcast on the local television in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, in a little corner of the park that resembles the biotope in which he may have dwelled some two million years ago.

That old giant is a replica of the Anancus avernensis, sculpted by Remie Bakker, based on the detailed fossil record.

Some may recognise the old guy in the red coat. He has no walking deficiency but he tries to help lifting that body and not to step on the toes of the artist.

Physics news on Phys.org
Very cool. I loved how the pieces snapped into place. Why is it when I need to assemble something, the pieces never quite fit?

For the best entertainment value they should move it around regularly.
= I saw an elephant in the park on saturday night - really ...

Evo said:
Why is it when I need to assemble something, the pieces never quite fit?
You have the scandanavian species Anancus ikeansis, it died out when all the Allen keys it relied on disappeared in the ice age

Looks like an interesting project! Does Remie ever make any that move? (That might end up just looking Disney-esque, though.)

Chat secrets revealed :wink:

No sound?

mgb_phys said:
You have the scandanavian species Anancus ikeansis, it died out when all the Allen keys it relied on disappeared in the ice age
:biggrin:

Borek said:
Chat secrets revealed :wink:

No sound?
No sound indeed

Well I figured that if the event is youtubeable in the open, then why would I not link to it? But I won't show piX before 3 June, that was the deal, when the Museum reopens where this ikea thinghy will be on permament display. It has been in the park only for a few hours.

lisab said:
Looks like an interesting project! Does Remie ever make any that move? (That might end up just looking Disney-esque, though.)

No these are all static models, here is his webside. They are now dreaming of making a replica of a ancestral / southern mammoth (Mammuthus meridionalis) standing over four meters at the shoulder

Wow, that is very impressive. Thank you Andre.

IcedEcliptic said:
Wow, that is very impressive. Thank you Andre.

You're welcome, as said there will be pictures later. Incidently, a side remark, looking at the wiki of the ancertral mammoth (well it's an old giant too, but not back yet):

Mammuthus meridionalis is an extinct species of mammoth endemic to Europe and central Asia from the Pliocene, living from 2.5–0.126 mya existing for approximately 2.374 million years...

Too bad, the Pliocene ends 2,59 million years ago. But then again this border with the Pleistocene has been redefined http://www.paleoanthro.org/pdfs/01-IUGS%20Ratification%20notice%20Q%20&%20Pleistocene.pdf after intensive debate, as a result from that, you'll find definitions of the Pliocene-Pleistocene border anywhere from 1.6 - 2.8 million years ago.

But that's OT. This plastic "Mastodon of the Auvergne" is currently on it's way to its destination, the Musée Crozatier in Le Puy-en-Velay in the Auvergne in France.

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to pictures of this treasure. Amazing to imagine these mammoths walking about as a herd of elephants might. Imagine the depth and range of their infrasonic communication...

Andre said:
No sound indeed

Well I figured that if the event is youtubeable in the open, then why would I not link to it? But I won't show piX before 3 June, that was the deal, when the Museum reopens where this ikea thinghy will be on permament display. It has been in the park only for a few hours.

To follow up, here are two pictures of that photoshoot

Andre said:
107j53t.jpg

Andre said:
2ur5jxh.jpg

Pooh, Piglet, come back you two; heffalumps don't bite.

Time to necropost.

Obviously there is also a book going with this.

http://www.eja-editions.com/fiche-produit.php?id_produit=113.

Just got my copy in.

It happens that the names of three members of PF is in the acknowledgments. A bad spelling bear of little brain who made some translating attempts and two native-tongue friends who transformed that into flawless English.

Last edited:
Congrats, Andre, I know how it is to see your work on paper :wink:

FAQ: Who is the Old Giant in the Rotterdam Park?

What is the meaning of "Old giant back for a moment"?

"Old giant back for a moment" is a phrase used to describe a situation where something or someone from the past resurfaces or reappears temporarily.

Who or what is the "old giant" in "Old giant back for a moment"?

The "old giant" can refer to a person, a company, an idea, or any significant entity that was once prominent but has since faded into obscurity or been replaced by something else.

Why is the phrase "Old giant back for a moment" used?

The phrase is often used to evoke a sense of nostalgia or to draw attention to something that was once important but has now been largely forgotten.

Can you give an example of "Old giant back for a moment"?

One example could be the return of a musician who was popular in the 80s, but retired from the music industry. If they were to release a new album or go on tour, it could be described as "Old giant back for a moment".

Is "Old giant back for a moment" always used in a positive context?

No, the phrase can be used in both positive and negative contexts. It can be used to celebrate a comeback or criticize the temporary return of something or someone that was once considered outdated or irrelevant.