Oldest material found on Earth?

In summary: But meteorites are special, in that they have been subjected to extreme conditions during their journey to Earth. Meteorites are also a rich source of information about the early solar system and the early history of our planet.In summary, scientists have discovered ancient material that predates the solar system. This material is found within a meteorite that fell to Earth in 1969. The chemistry of the grains and especially the isotope composition should give clues into the source of material for the GMC from which the solar system formed.
pinball1970
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Oldest material found on earth?

This popped up in live science

https://www.livescience.com/oldest-material-on-earth.html

This on PNAS

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/01/07/1904573117

Murchison meteorite fell 1969 in Australia.

As well as interesting organics such as bases and amino acids previously found, scientists now claim to have found pre solar grains, billions of years older than the solar system.
  • Informative
Likes Dragrath, davenn, Klystron and 1 other person
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Likes davenn and pinball1970
jim mcnamara said:
@davenn may know more
Thanks Jim
Ive just posted to him, he collects meteors from memory!

Likes davenn
The @ [username] construct sends a "Ding" - the bell shape on the upper right hand side turns red (title bar)

Testing: @pinball1970 will cause you to get a ding.

Be sure to click in the pop-up window when you start an @ construct to auto-magically create the right syntax - hidden otherwise behind ordinary looking type. It turns blue when you post. If you go back and edit you (bbcode set on gear looking thing) see [ USER=551850]@pinball1970[/USER ] - no spaces. spaces turn it off.

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Summary:: Oldest material found on earth?This popped up in live sciencehttps://www.livescience.com/oldest-material-on-earth.htmlThis on PNAShttps://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/01/07/1904573117Murchison meteorite fell 1969 in Australia.

As well as interesting organics such as bases and amino acids previously found, scientists now claim to have found pre solar grains, billions of years older than the solar system.

This on PNAS
Any discussions here? Nothing on Murchison.
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. We have known of the existence of inclusions within meteorites that avoided melting (and "clock resetting") for two or three decades. All of these are, necessarily, older than the 4.57 billion year age of the solar system. This Murchison example is the oldest yet discovered.

The chemistry of the grains and especially the isotope composition should give clues into the source of material for the GMC from which the solar system formed.

I find it intriguing that a meteorite that fell to Earth half a century ago is still capable of providing new insights into planetary formation and interstellar chemistry.

Likes davenn and Klystron
Ophiolite said:
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. We have known of the existence of inclusions within meteorites that avoided melting (and "clock resetting") for two or three decades. All of these are, necessarily, older than the 4.57 billion year age of the solar system. This Murchison example is the oldest yet discovered.

The chemistry of the grains and especially the isotope composition should give clues into the source of material for the GMC from which the solar system formed.

I find it intriguing that a meteorite that fell to Earth half a century ago is still capable of providing new insights into planetary formation and interstellar chemistry.
I was amazed when I read material that predated the sun by several billion years had been identified.
I have read about the Murchison from an organics pov but was not aware of material that ancient.

pinball1970 said:
This on PNAS
Any discussions here? Nothing on Murchison.

Thanks for that, I'm aware of this meteorite, pretty sure I don't have a sample of that one yet.
But I was unaware of the deeper details of this meteorite ...
very informative, specially that second article.

You may now start to see my fascination with meteorites, holding something that has zoomed through space for billions of years
and finally to land on Earth and to be able to hold it. It's very cool :smile:Dave

Likes Klystron, pinball1970 and berkeman
davenn said:
You may now start to see my fascination with meteorites, holding something that has zoomed through space for billions of years
and finally to land on Earth and to be able to hold it. It's very cool :smile:
Not the outer surface when it first landed. :wink:

Meanwhile, back on track: I've been trying to find a good general review paper on solar grains, thus far without success. This one, Presolar silicate grains: Abundances, isotopic and elemental compositions, and the effects of secondary processing, is the best I can come up with so far. It is thorough in addressing the topics of the title, but has, appropriately, almost nothing to say about the insights into nucleosynthesis that presolar grains present. That is an aspect I had not properly appreciated till sent trawling in Google Scholar by the OP. This paper, Production of Mo and Ru Isotopes in Neutrino-driven Winds: Implications for Solar Abundances and Presolar Grains, is the sort of example I had in mind.

Likes Dragrath and jim mcnamara
davenn said:
and finally to land on Earth and to be able to hold it. It's very cool :smile:

Dave
Sure is. Of course that’s true of terrestrial rocks as well!

Likes davenn
Ophiolite said:
Not the outer surface when it first landed. :wink:
Surprisingly, they are quite cool almost cold by the time they hit the ground ( that's from those that have seen and found meteorites from falls)
chemisttree said:
Sure is. Of course that’s true of terrestrial rocks as well!

True, but space rocks from the Moon, Mars and asteroids is just another whole level :wink: Dave

Likes pinball1970

1. What is the oldest material found on Earth?

The oldest material found on Earth is a tiny grain of zircon that was discovered in the Jack Hills region of Western Australia. It is estimated to be around 4.4 billion years old.

2. How was the oldest material on Earth discovered?

The oldest material on Earth was discovered through the use of radiometric dating techniques. Scientists used a mass spectrometer to analyze the ratio of uranium and lead isotopes in the zircon grain, which helped determine its age.

3. Where is the oldest material on Earth found?

The oldest material on Earth was found in the Jack Hills region of Western Australia. This area is known for its ancient rocks and is a popular site for geologists and paleontologists.

4. What can we learn from the oldest material on Earth?

The oldest material on Earth can provide valuable insights into the early history of our planet. It can help us understand the formation of the Earth and the processes that have shaped it over billions of years.

5. Is there any material on Earth that is older than 4.4 billion years?

No, the oldest material found on Earth is estimated to be around 4.4 billion years old. However, there may be older materials in the universe, such as stardust, that have not yet been discovered on Earth.