Omission of parts of equations in solving oscillation questions

In summary: There is damping in the second problem I linked. Anyway, I understood your explanation. Thank you very...very much.
Student084
Homework Statement
Omission of parts of equations in solving oscillation questions.
Relevant Equations
a(t)=W² Xm cos(wt+ϕ)
x(t)= Xm e^(-bt/2m) cos(w't+ϕ)
Perhaps that's a very dumb question, but I'm having a hard time to understand why it's possible to omit parts of the equations in solving various problems involving oscillations. Here, for example, the complete equation for acceleration is not used (the part with cosine doesn't appear) and here the complete equation for displacement in damped oscillations (the part with cosine doesn't appear) is also not used.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, I do not understand where you think a cosine term has been omitted. If you write x(t) in terms of sines and cosines then differentiate twice you get ##\ddot x+\omega^2x=0##, and that is the equation used to solve the problem.

In the second, we are only concerned with a number of whole cycles. In a ratio of displacements at such times, the cosine terms are the same and cancel.

Student084 said:
Relevant Equations:: a(t)=W² Xm cos(wt+ϕ)
The general solution to the oscillator differential equation (without damping i.e. b=0) is given by $$x(t)=A\cos( \omega t+\phi) $$ This contains two constants ##\phi,A## which are determined by initial conditions which particularize the solution to your problem at hand. All the other forms of the solution (with sin and cos or complex numbers) are Algebraic rearrangements of the above...no new physics, just some trig and each has two undetermined constants.

haruspex said:
For the first one, I do not understand where you think a cosine term has been omitted. If you write x(t) in terms of sines and cosines then differentiate twice you get ##\ddot x+\omega^2x=0##, and that is the equation used to solve the problem.

In the second, we are only concerned with a number of whole cycles. In a ratio of displacements at such times, the cosine terms are the same and cancel.
I understood your explanation for the second question, but my physics textbook shows the equation for acceleration with a cosine term (image attached), so I still don't understand why it doesn't appear in the equation used to solve the first question.

Attachments

• 864864.JPG
    864864.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Student084 said:
I understood your explanation for the second question, but my physics textbook shows the equation for acceleration with a cosine term (image attached), so I still don't understand why it doesn't appear in the equation used to solve the first question.
There are two ways you can write the same equation
##a=-\omega^2~x##
##a=-\omega^2~x_m\cos(\omega t+\phi)##

Is that what troubles you?

kuruman said:
There are two ways you can write the same equation
##a=-\omega^2~x##
##a=-\omega^2~x_m\cos(\omega t+\phi)##

Is that what troubles you?
Unless we are talking about a moment when the displacement is maximum and therefore the cosine term is equal to 1, I don't understand how these two equations can be the same

We are in a semantic impasse. When I say the "equation of motion" I mean $$x(t)=A\cos( \omega t+\phi) $$ (with the two constants specified and ##\omega## presumed known). It contains all information about the motion of the particle.
One could report in infinite number of derivatives (v(t), a(t),...) without increasing the information content. Why stop at three? Your book should be clearer about this. Differential calculus immediately supplies the rest.

Student084 said:
Homework Statement:: Omission of parts of equations in solving oscillation questions.
Relevant Equations:: a(t)=W² Xm cos(wt+ϕ)

Perhaps that's a very dumb question, but I'm having a hard time to understand why it's possible to omit parts of the equations in solving various problems involving oscillations. Here, for example, the complete equation for acceleration is not used (the part with cosine doesn't appear) and here the complete equation for displacement in damped oscillations (the part with cosine doesn't appear) is also not used.
Hello @Student084 .
:welcome:
There is no damping in this problem, so skip the exponential factor in your Relevant Equation. Also, That's an omega (ω), but if you use the letter, w, instead it should be lower case every where.

So you have: x(t) = xmax cos(ωt + ϕ)

and: a(t) = −ω2 xmax cos(ωt + ϕ)

So at any particular time, t, you have that

a(t) = −ω2 x(t) .

It merely a substitution.

SammyS said:
Hello @Student084 .
:welcome:
There is no damping in this problem, so skip the exponential factor in your Relevant Equation. Also, That's an omega (ω), but if you use the letter, w, instead it should be lower case every where.

So you have: x(t) = xmax cos(ωt + ϕ)

and: a(t) = −ω2 xmax cos(ωt + ϕ)

So at any particular time, t, you have that

a(t) = −ω2 x(t) .

It merely a substitution.
There is damping in the second problem I linked. Anyway, I understood your explanation. Thank you very much.

1. What is the purpose of omitting parts of equations in solving oscillation questions?

The purpose of omitting parts of equations in solving oscillation questions is to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. By removing unnecessary terms, the equation becomes more manageable and the solution can be found more efficiently.

2. How do you determine which parts of the equation to omit?

The parts of the equation that can be omitted are typically those that have a small or negligible effect on the overall solution. These may include terms with small coefficients or those that cancel out when the equation is simplified.

3. Can omitting parts of equations lead to inaccurate results?

In some cases, omitting parts of equations can lead to slightly inaccurate results. However, this is usually acceptable as long as the omitted terms have a small impact on the overall solution. It is important to carefully consider which parts of the equation can be safely omitted.

4. Are there any situations where omitting parts of equations is not recommended?

Omitting parts of equations is not recommended if the omitted terms have a significant impact on the solution or if the equation becomes too simplified and loses important information. It is important to carefully assess the problem and determine if omitting parts of the equation is appropriate.

5. How can I check if my solution is accurate after omitting parts of the equation?

If you are unsure about the accuracy of your solution after omitting parts of the equation, you can check by plugging in the values for the omitted terms and comparing the results. Additionally, you can use other methods, such as graphing or numerical approximation, to verify the accuracy of your solution.