On Gradients and their use - did I do this correctly?

• Thread starter Emspak
  • Start date
In summary, to find the direction to go in for the maximum rate of ascent on a given surface, one can take the gradient of the function describing the surface and evaluate it at the starting point. This will give a directional vector, which can be used to determine the direction to go in. To maintain a specific slope, one can use the directional vector and a unit vector to calculate the angle at which to travel using the inverse cosine function. This angle can then be used to express the vector in other notations, such as polar or Cartesian coordinates.
Emspak
On Gradients and their use -- did I do this correctly?

Homework Statement

I have a function that describes a surface. (It doesn't matter what it is, as I want to be sure I am doing the problem correctly, not get the answer to a particular one, so here's a "random" one)

f(x,y) = 25-5x2-3y2

I am starting from a point on the surface (5,1,-3). So I want to know what direction to go in where I am ascending at the maximum rate -- the greatest slope.

The attempt at a solution

To solve this problem I took the gradient of the function above,

[itex]\nabla f(x,y) = (\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}) = (-10x, -6y)[/itex]

which gives me a directional vector. I take the point I am on (5,1,-3) and ignore the z coordinate for the moment. I look at (5,1). Evaluating ∇f at (a,b) gets me (-10(5), -6(1)) = (-50, -6).

That's the direction I am wanting to go towards. So to describe the vector I should travel in, is it correct to say that I want to go along (-50-5, 1-(-6)) = (-55, 7)? I feel like I missed something here, because it seems to me the z-coordinate should be in there. But if someone could let me know that I didn't make a stupid mistake, that would be much appreciated. I've looked up a lot of examples of this kind of problem and I guess I just don't trust myself.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated the gradient and got the correct direction. Why did you subtract 5 from -50, and why did you change -6 into 1 - (-6)?

I figured now that I had the directional vector, I needed to get the one from the point I started at towards that vector if I wanted to show the vector one would move in from (5, 1, -3). So I subtracted the starting vector from the one I thought was at the end. Plainly that's not right...

If you have two points, whose position vectors are v and w, then you can get the vector from v to w as

w - v

But here you already have the final vector, in the correct direction. No need to subtract anything from it.

A ha. Thanks!

BTW, presumably if I want to know which direction I need to go into maintain a specific slope, I can take that direction vector that I calculated (-50, -6) and a unit vector and multiply those by the cosine of theta, (where theta is the unknown). The inverse cosine will tell me what angle (in radians) I should go into maintain whatever slope I am interested in. Yes?

From there, if I want to express the vector in other notation, I can, for example, just convert the polar coordinate to a cartesian one (using my starting point (-50, -6) as the origin and I have my vector. This is true?

Again, thanks a lot.

Try drawing the vector (-50, -6).

If this vector makes an angle θ with the negative x axis, then you can see that tan θ = 6/50

So θ = tan-1(6/50)

1. What is the purpose of using gradients in scientific research?

The purpose of using gradients in scientific research is to study and analyze the changes in a particular variable over a specific distance or time. Gradients can provide valuable information about the rate and direction of change, and can be used to make predictions and draw conclusions.

2. How do I determine if I have correctly calculated a gradient?

To determine if you have correctly calculated a gradient, you can check your calculations using different methods, such as using a graphing calculator or manually calculating the slope using the rise over run formula. Additionally, it is important to double check your units and make sure they are consistent with the units of the variables used in the gradient calculation.

3. Can gradients be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, gradients can be used in all scientific fields as they are a fundamental concept in mathematics and can be applied to a wide range of variables and phenomena. Gradients are commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and environmental science.

4. Are there any limitations to using gradients in scientific research?

While gradients can provide valuable information, there are some limitations to their use in scientific research. For example, they may not accurately represent the true rate of change if the data points are not evenly distributed or if there are outliers in the data. Additionally, gradients may not be suitable for studying complex or non-linear relationships between variables.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating and using gradients?

Some common mistakes to avoid when calculating and using gradients include using incorrect units, not accounting for outliers in the data, and not clearly defining the distance or time interval over which the gradient is calculated. It is also important to be consistent with the direction of the gradient, as flipping the direction can lead to incorrect interpretations and conclusions.