1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On Gradients and their use - did I do this correctly?

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    On Gradients and their use -- did I do this correctly?

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a function that describes a surface. (It doesn't matter what it is, as I want to be sure I am doing the problem correctly, not get the answer to a particular one, so here's a "random" one)

f(x,y) = 25-5x2-3y2

I am starting from a point on the surface (5,1,-3). So I want to know what direction to go in where I am ascending at the maximum rate -- the greatest slope.

The attempt at a solution

To solve this problem I took the gradient of the function above,

[itex]\nabla f(x,y) = (\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}) = (-10x, -6y)[/itex]

which gives me a directional vector. I take the point I am on (5,1,-3) and ignore the z coordinate for the moment. I look at (5,1). Evaluating ∇f at (a,b) gets me (-10(5), -6(1)) = (-50, -6).

That's the direction I am wanting to go towards. So to describe the vector I should travel in, is it correct to say that I want to go along (-50-5, 1-(-6)) = (-55, 7)? I feel like I missed something here, because it seems to me the z-coordinate should be in there. But if someone could let me know that I didn't make a stupid mistake, that would be much appreciated. I've looked up a lot of examples of this kind of problem and I guess I just don't trust myself.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2013 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You calculated the gradient and got the correct direction. Why did you subtract 5 from -50, and why did you change -6 into 1 - (-6)?

4. Apr 25, 2013 #3
    I figured now that I had the directional vector, I needed to get the one from the point I started at towards that vector if I wanted to show the vector one would move in from (5, 1, -3). So I subtracted the starting vector from the one I thought was at the end. Plainly that's not right...

5. Apr 25, 2013 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have two points, whose position vectors are v and w, then you can get the vector from v to w as

w - v

But here you already have the final vector, in the correct direction. No need to subtract anything from it.

6. Apr 25, 2013 #5
    A ha. Thanks!

BTW, presumably if I want to know which direction I need to go in to maintain a specific slope, I can take that direction vector that I calculated (-50, -6) and a unit vector and multiply those by the cosine of theta, (where theta is the unknown). The inverse cosine will tell me what angle (in radians) I should go in to maintain whatever slope I am interested in. Yes?

From there, if I want to express the vector in other notation, I can, for example, just convert the polar coordinate to a cartesian one (using my starting point (-50, -6) as the origin and I have my vector. This is true?

Again, thanks a lot.

7. Apr 25, 2013 #6

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try drawing the vector (-50, -6).

If this vector makes an angle θ with the negative x axis, then you can see that tan θ = 6/50

So θ = tan-1(6/50)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted