On Heisenberg's uncertainty principle

In summary: Hm, then you pose the interesting question, whether there are also non-pure states, i.e., proper mixed states with ##\Delta x \Delta p=\hbar/2## or whether there are only the pure states, which are described necessarily by Gaussian wave functions.
Ssnow
Gold Member
Hi everybody, my question is a curiosity on the (generalized) Heisenberg principle:

## \sigma_{x}\sigma_{p} \geq \frac{\hbar}{2},##

where ##x,p## are the usual quantum operators and ##\hbar## the Planck constant divided by ##2\pi##. If I understood correctly, Gaussian states that are solution of the quantum harmonic oscillator minimize the uncertainty principle with the equality. The question is what happen for the other Gaussian states? It is true for every Gaussian state? For example considering a Gaussian state of the form ## \psi=Ce^{-\lambda x^2}## (with ##C## constant and ##\lambda## a real parameter) it is the inequality true for every ##\lambda##?
Thank you in advance for all answer to by doubt.

Ssnow

Physics news on Phys.org
Ssnow said:
Hi everybody, my question is a curiosity on the (generalized) Heisenberg principle:

## \sigma_{x}\sigma_{p} \geq \frac{\hbar}{2},##

where ##x,p## are the usual quantum operators and ##\hbar## the Planck constant divided by ##2\pi##. If I understood correctly, Gaussian states that are solution of the quantum harmonic oscillator minimize the uncertainty principle with the equality. The question is what happen for the other Gaussian states? It is true for every Gaussian state? For example considering a Gaussian state of the form ## \psi=Ce^{-\lambda x^2}## (with ##C## constant and ##\lambda## a real parameter) it is the inequality true for every ##\lambda##?
Thank you in advance for all answer to by doubt.

Ssnow

By varying the parameters of the oscillator you can get any positive value for ##\lambda##.

In any case, it's straightforward to show that a Gaussian wave packet also exhibits the minimum uncertainty.

Likes Ssnow
You can use any Gaussian for any system which admits position and momentum observables fulfilling the Heisenberg algebra, ##[\hat{x},\hat{p}] =\mathrm{i} \hbar##.

For the harmonic oscillator they are special, because they are coherent (with ##\Delta x \Delta p =\hbar/2##) or more general squeezed states (with the uncertainty oscillating between finite values).

Likes Ssnow
Ssnow said:
If I understood correctly, Gaussian states that are solution of the quantum harmonic oscillator minimize the uncertainty principle with the equality. The question is what happen for the other Gaussian states? It is true for every Gaussian state?

For every pure Gaussian state it is true, but for Gaussian states made up of mixtures (not superpositions) of other wavefunctions, the uncertainty principle would not be saturated.

Likes Ssnow
jfizzix said:
Gaussian states made up of mixtures (not superpositions) of other wavefunctions

Can you give an example of such a Gaussian state? (I have no problem with states that are mixtures; I just don't see how the term "Gaussian" can be applied to them.)

PeterDonis said:
Can you give an example of such a Gaussian state? (I have no problem with states that are mixtures; I just don't see how the term "Gaussian" can be applied to them.)

For a pure gaussian wavepacket, the density operator looks like:
[itex]\rho (x,x') = \langle x|\psi\rangle\langle \psi|x'\rangle = \psi(x)\psi^{*}(x') [/itex]
The example that comes to my head is the statistics of a correlated double-gaussian wavefunction in [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex], when you trace over [itex]y[/itex]:
[itex]\rho (x,x') = \int dy\; \psi(x,y)\psi^{*}(x',y) [/itex]
Since we contrive it to be correlated, the joint wavefunction doesn't factor, i.e., [itex]\psi(x,y)\neq\psi(x)\psi(y)[/itex]
The marginal position and momentum statistics are gaussian, but do not saturate the Heisenberg limit.

Correlated double-gaussian wavefunctions are commonly used in describing the position-momentum statistics of pairs of entangled particles. See for example: (https://arxiv.org/abs/1502.06996)

Likes PeterDonis
Hm, then you pose the interesting question, whether there are also non-pure states, i.e., proper mixed states with ##\Delta x \Delta p=\hbar/2## or whether there are only the pure states, which are described necessarily by Gaussian wave functions. I've to think about this.

Likes Ssnow

What is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This means that there will always be some uncertainty in our measurements of these two properties.

Why is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle important?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is important because it sets a limit on how accurately we can measure the properties of particles. It also introduces the concept of probability in quantum mechanics, as we can only predict the likelihood of a particle having a certain position or momentum.

How does Heisenberg's uncertainty principle relate to the wave-particle duality?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is closely related to the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics. It suggests that particles can exhibit wave-like properties and that their position and momentum cannot be known precisely at the same time. This is because the act of measuring one property affects the other.

What are the implications of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The implications of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle are vast. It challenges our classical understanding of determinism and suggests that there is inherent randomness in the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

Can Heisenberg's uncertainty principle be violated?

No, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been repeatedly confirmed by experiments. While it may seem counterintuitive, it is a well-established concept that cannot be violated.