What is the name for the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

In summary: Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty principle, Nyquist theorem, and Fourier transformation all relate to the concept of uncertainty in different ways.
kent davidge
TL;DR Summary
besides the one in the title
In quantum mechanics the name is Uncertainty principle. But outside of QM, what is the name for those inequalities?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the uncertainty principle has a meaning in physics, and there isn't really a special name for characteristic equations that look exactly like the uncertainty principle. This question doesn't really mean anything.

kent davidge said:
Summary:: besides the one in the title

In quantum mechanics the name is Uncertainty principle. But outside of QM, what is the name for those inequalities?
Niels Bohr wrote often about complementary or conjugate variables. While within QM perhaps you are thinking of his theory of complementarity? From the linked article:

In physics, complementarity is both a theoretical and an experimental result of quantum mechanics, also referred to as principle of complementarity. Formulated by Niels Bohr, a leading founder of quantum mechanics, the complementarity principle holds that objects have certain pairs of complementary properties which cannot all be observed or measured simultaneously.

A reaction to Bohr by Werner Heisenberg (in the same artcle):
Bohr has brought to my attention [that] the uncertainty in our observation does not arise exclusively from the occurrence of discontinuities, but is tied directly to the demand that we ascribe equal validity to the quite different experiments which show up in the [particulate] theory on one hand, and in the wave theory on the other hand.

Last edited:
Do you perhaps mean the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality?

Likes kent davidge and vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Do you perhaps mean the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality?
I don't think that's what he means!

It's the Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty principle. The correct interpretation is that quantum theory predicts that you cannot prepare a particle where both position and momentum are well determined, i.e., if you prepare the particle to be at a well-defined position (i.e., with a narrow position-probability distribution peaked sharply at a point in position space), then necessarily its momentum distribution is broad.

Quantitatively it says that in any (pure or mixed) quantum state the standard deviations of the components of the position vector of a particle and its momentum components is
$$\Delta x_i \Delta p_i \geq \hbar/2.$$
It follow directly from the very fundamental properties of the quantum theoretical notion of states and the description of observables in terms of self-adjoint operators on a Hilbert space. It's a direct consequence of the positive definiteness of the scalar product and the associated Cauchy-Schwarz in equality as @Vanadium 50 mentioned above.

Likes Klystron
martinbn said:
I don't think that's what he means!

I'm not sure even he knows what he means. But I think my guess is at least a potential answer to the question he posed.

A. Neumaier said:
Perhaps you were looking for the Nyquist theorem?
Why is this your guess?

A. Neumaier said:
Perhaps you were looking for the Nyquist theorem?
This is as classical as classical physics can be. I'm not aware of any uncertainty in the sampling processes, although information is lost (by definition) and that can create uncertainty when trying to go backwards (reconstruction).

martinbn said:
Why is this your guess?
It's essentially the same inequality.

A. Neumaier said:
It's essentially the same inequality.
How!

kent davidge said:

It has no meaning outside QM. What were you trying to ask?

Likes kent davidge
Well, there's some meaning in classical waves too. E.g., if you want a nicely monochromatic electromagnetic wave (light) you have to live with that it is wide-spread in position and vice versa.

The relation to the Nyquist theorem thus simply is that it tells you about the relation of the width of distributions related by a Fourier transformation.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:

principle of complementarity

Likes Klystron and kent davidge

1. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle.

2. Who discovered the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle was discovered by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. What is the significance of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles and the limitations of our ability to measure and observe them.

4. Is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle a law or a theory?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, and is considered to be a law rather than a theory.

5. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle relate to other scientific principles?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is closely related to other principles in quantum mechanics, such as the wave-particle duality and the observer effect. It also has implications for the uncertainty principle in other areas of science, such as in chaos theory and economics.