1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On length contraction (Special Relativity)

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the length contraction deforms a sphere in motion to an oblate rotational ellipsoid whose volume decreases by a factor of γ (gamma)

2. Relevant equations
    x=x'/γ v=4∏r^3/3 (volume for sphere) v=4∏(a^2)b/3 (volume for prolate and oblate spheroid)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The question is taken from Special relativity for beginners by Jurgen Freund. Firstly, I am confused as to why the question claims that the sphere would deform into an oblate spheroid rather than a prolate spheroid since length contraction does not contract transversely. Anyway by length contraction, the radius (r) of the sphere would contract by a factor of γ, Therefore:
    r=a/γ where a is the equatorial radius and b is the polar radius. By subbing r=a/γ into the formula of sphere, through some algebraic manipulation, I get a spheroid whose radius decreased by a factor of γ^3 instead. How should I go about doing it and where are my errors ?

Please help.

Thank you for viewing.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2012 #2
    So what happens to the sphere with the length contraction? The direction parallel to motion is contracted, and the two perpendicular to it are not, right? So which of a and b are transformed?

4. Jun 4, 2012 #3
    The equatorial radius (a) of the prolate spheroid would be contracted by a factor of γ. (i.e a=r/γ). Therefore the volume of the sphere is V=4∏(r^3)/3 and the volume of the prolate spheroid would be V'=4∏(r^2)b/3(γ^2). Finally, taking the volume of the sphere and divide it by the volume of the prolate spheroid gives (V/V')=r(γ^2)/b ??

Sorry if I am slow at catching ideas. Please bear with me.

Thank you very much

5. Jun 4, 2012 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Watch out. It is b which is contracted whereas "a" remains equal to the initial radius.

6. Jun 5, 2012 #5
    Why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook