Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On Math-Atlas, where does regular Algebra fit in?

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    On Math-Atlas, where does "regular" Algebra fit in?

Where on the Math-Atlas does Algebra I and Algebra II fit? Should I assume "Algebra I and Algebra II" are essentially generalized, introductory courses that cover a subset of branches under the "Abstract Algebra" branch?

I'm starting school this Spring and wanted to build a workbook generator to catch myself up to speed. The app will ask you to select a set of math branches* and problem types. I'd therefore like to show the visitor a list of Math branches to choose from.

---
    * Is a "branch" what different areas of mathematics are even called or is it "field"? I get conflicting results, even within the same articles. Knowing this is important to me, because the web app will be open-sourced and the less mistakes I have on it, the better :P

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2
    Re: On Math-Atlas, where does "regular" Algebra fit in?

Do you mean elementary algebra? I've always thought of it as being a very gentle introduction to abstract algebra.

I imagine that different people use both of those to mean the same thing.

4. Nov 13, 2012 #3
    Re: On Math-Atlas, where does "regular" Algebra fit in?

I think so, maybe I can just call it elementary algebra. Even textbooks just call it "Algebra", which is pretty generalized.

[edit]
    I googled around for elementary algebra, and the descriptions match what my textbooks cover so that's it! Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook