1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On Math-Atlas, where does regular Algebra fit in?

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    On Math-Atlas, where does "regular" Algebra fit in?

Where on the Math-Atlas does Algebra I and Algebra II fit? Should I assume "Algebra I and Algebra II" are essentially generalized, introductory courses that cover a subset of branches under the "Abstract Algebra" branch?

I'm starting school this Spring and wanted to build a workbook generator to catch myself up to speed. The app will ask you to select a set of math branches* and problem types. I'd therefore like to show the visitor a list of Math branches to choose from.

---
    * Is a "branch" what different areas of mathematics are even called or is it "field"? I get conflicting results, even within the same articles. Knowing this is important to me, because the web app will be open-sourced and the less mistakes I have on it, the better :P

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2
    Re: On Math-Atlas, where does "regular" Algebra fit in?

Do you mean elementary algebra? I've always thought of it as being a very gentle introduction to abstract algebra.

I imagine that different people use both of those to mean the same thing.

4. Nov 13, 2012 #3
    Re: On Math-Atlas, where does "regular" Algebra fit in?

I think so, maybe I can just call it elementary algebra. Even textbooks just call it "Algebra", which is pretty generalized.

[edit]
    I googled around for elementary algebra, and the descriptions match what my textbooks cover so that's it! Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook