1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On non linear resistor and how to calculate a fixed resistor.

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The current in amperes through a certain type of non-linear resistor is given by I=0.05V^3, where V is the potential difference in volts across the resistor. This resistor is connected in series to a fixed resistor and a constant voltage source of 9V is connected across the series combination. What value of resistance should the fixed resistor have so that a current of 0.40A flows ?

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR and P=VI ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first tried to calculate the total resistance which gives 22.5 ohms. But I do not know how to calculate the non-linear resistor as it does not obey ohm's law hence no proper formula can be used ? Please help.

Thank you.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Suppose that, as stated, a current of 0.40A is flowing through the nonlinear resistor. What will be the voltage drop across it according to the given formula for it (you may have to rearrange the formula)?

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3
    By I=0.05V^3, when I=0.40A, V=2V. Hence voltage drop across the fixed resistor is 9-2=7V.
    Therefore by V=IR, 7=0.4R,
    Therefore R=17.5 ohms

Am I right ?

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks good!

6. Sep 25, 2011 #5
    Thanks a lot !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook