1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On (pentagon shaped) electric field question.

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Four particles, each having a charge q are placed on the four corners A, B, C, D of a regular pentagon ABCDE. The distance of each corner from the centre is a. Find the electric field at the centre of the pentagon.

2. Relevant equations
    E=q/(4∏ε0)(a^2) where k=1/4∏ε0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well certainly I think it's silly to just sum up four electric fields to give 4q/(4∏ε0)(a^2). I think it would seem obvious that there is a net electric field as shown in the attached diagram. Suppose E(E) exists. Then E(A)+E(B)+E(C)+E(D)+E(E)=0. My working is shown in the diagram attached. At the same time I am confused as how the electric field vectors resolves.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2
    Darn, can't upload the diagrams. I've uploaded it on my random blog. Go to www.kcsuploads.blogspot.com and see pentagon diagram. Sorry for any inconvenience caused

4. May 3, 2012 #3

tms

Just add the vectors the way vectors add. Decompose them into their components in a convenient reference frame. Symmetry considerations will help set that up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook