Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On site repair of Makrolon guards

  1. Feb 3, 2009 #1

    wolram

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I have this bottle of chemical that we used for the on site repair of Makrolon guards, it is clear and one (wicked) the stuff into a joint, the label is illegible, thing is i can not remember if it poisonous and what is called, could i just bin it?
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

    mgb_phys

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Re: Poison?

    :wink:
     
  4. Feb 3, 2009 #3

    wolram

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Re: Poison?

    Gawd blimey almighty it would have not been all that dangerous, i bet people take far greater risks in their day to day jobs.
     
  5. Feb 3, 2009 #4
    Re: Poison?

    Some years ago I was working in a Mexican maquilladora and workers were trying to solder wires to a terminal strip but they couldn't get the solder to stick to the terminal strip. I suggested they first paint the terminal strip with with a rosin flux. Everybody got upset and told me how the maquilas aren't allowed to dispose of ANY chemicals so how would they ever be able to dispose of that. Are the laws about tossing stuff down the drain stricter in Mexico than they are here?
     
  6. Feb 3, 2009 #5

    berkeman

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Re: Poison?

    No, I would recommend against putting it in the trash. Here in Northern Callifornia, we have recycle places that let you bring in your (non-commercial) chemicals and drop them off, and they take care of figuring out what it is, and how to dispose of it.

    Do they have similar facilities in England? And what the heck is a Makrolon guard?
     
  7. Feb 3, 2009 #6

    mgb_phys

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Re: Poison?

    Depends on the recycling place (and the person working there). They vary between "we don't allow any chemicals here - just batteries, paint, gas cyclinders etc" and "if it hasn't got a label throw it in the rubbish" approaches.

    Clear plastic roofing stuff - like corrugated iron but plastic
     
  8. Feb 3, 2009 #7
    Re: Poison?

    before binning it, i'd remove the lid and let it evaporate first.
     
  9. Feb 3, 2009 #8

    chemisttree

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Re: Poison?

    Yes, it is toxic. It is probably a solution of polycarbonate (Makloron) in methylene chloride (mildly toxic) and/or 1,2-dichloroethane (liver toxin) and/or 1,3-dioxolane (cyclic ethers like this can cause testicular atrophy...).

    Throw it in your (downwind) neighbor's back yard.
     
  10. Feb 3, 2009 #9

    wolram

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Re: Poison?


    OMG is it treatable?
     
  11. Feb 3, 2009 #10
    Re: Poison?

    no, you're gonna die
     
  12. Feb 6, 2009 #11

    chemisttree

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Re: Poison?

    Yes, but you'll need a magnifying glass and a bottle of scotch.
     
  13. Feb 6, 2009 #12
    Re: Poison?

    I recommend putting them in one of those plant food guns, and taking it to the local organic farm and spraying their crops, that'll learn 'em. :wink:

    Seriously though, I would recommend asking your bin man, they know all the council regulations. And a half crown in the sky rocket and they'll take anything away.
     
  14. Feb 6, 2009 #13
    Re: Poison?

    You should treat all unknown chemicals as though they are very dangerous. Better safe than sorry.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?



Similar Discussions: On site repair of Makrolon guards
  1. Repairing a tent (Replies: 20)

  2. Central air repair (Replies: 19)

Loading...