On site repair of Makrolon guards

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Seriously though, I would recommend asking your bin man, they know all the council regulations. And a half crown in the sky rocket and they'll take anything away.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have this bottle of chemical that we used for the on site repair of Makrolon guards, it is clear and one (wicked) the stuff into a joint, the label is illegible, thing is i can not remember if it poisonous and what is called, could i just bin it?

Physics news on Phys.org

test it over water so only you would pop your clogs in the event of a failure, i would give it a go.
:wink:

mgb_phys said:
:wink:

Gawd blimey almighty it would have not been all that dangerous, i bet people take far greater risks in their day to day jobs.

Some years ago I was working in a Mexican maquilladora and workers were trying to solder wires to a terminal strip but they couldn't get the solder to stick to the terminal strip. I suggested they first paint the terminal strip with with a rosin flux. Everybody got upset and told me how the maquilas aren't allowed to dispose of ANY chemicals so how would they ever be able to dispose of that. Are the laws about tossing stuff down the drain stricter in Mexico than they are here?

wolram said:
I have this bottle of chemical that we used for the on site repair of Makrolon guards, it is clear and one (wicked) the stuff into a joint, the label is illegible, thing is i can not remember if it poisonous and what is called, could i just bin it?

No, I would recommend against putting it in the trash. Here in Northern Callifornia, we have recycle places that let you bring in your (non-commercial) chemicals and drop them off, and they take care of figuring out what it is, and how to dispose of it.

Do they have similar facilities in England? And what the heck is a Makrolon guard?

berkeman said:
Do they have similar facilities in England?
Depends on the recycling place (and the person working there). They vary between "we don't allow any chemicals here - just batteries, paint, gas cyclinders etc" and "if it hasn't got a label throw it in the rubbish" approaches.

And what the heck is a Makrolon guard?
Clear plastic roofing stuff - like corrugated iron but plastic

before binning it, i'd remove the lid and let it evaporate first.

Yes, it is toxic. It is probably a solution of polycarbonate (Makloron) in methylene chloride (mildly toxic) and/or 1,2-dichloroethane (liver toxin) and/or 1,3-dioxolane (cyclic ethers like this can cause testicular atrophy...).

Throw it in your (downwind) neighbor's back yard.

chemisttree said:
Yes, it is toxic. It is probably a solution of polycarbonate (Makloron) in methylene chloride (mildly toxic) and/or 1,2-dichloroethane (liver toxin) and/or 1,3-dioxolane (cyclic ethers like this can cause testicular atrophy...).

Throw it in your (downwind) neighbor's back yard.

OMG is it treatable?

no, you're going to die

wolram said:
OMG is it treatable?

Yes, but you'll need a magnifying glass and a bottle of scotch.

I recommend putting them in one of those plant food guns, and taking it to the local organic farm and spraying their crops, that'll learn 'em. :wink:

Seriously though, I would recommend asking your bin man, they know all the council regulations. And a half crown in the sky rocket and they'll take anything away.

You should treat all unknown chemicals as though they are very dangerous. Better safe than sorry.

1. How do you repair a cracked Makrolon guard?

The first step in repairing a cracked Makrolon guard is to clean the surface thoroughly with soap and water. Then, use a fine-grit sandpaper to gently sand the area around the crack. Next, apply a thin layer of acetone or a specialized plastic cleaner to the crack. Finally, use a plastic adhesive or epoxy to fill in the crack and let it dry completely before using the guard again.

2. Can you repair deep scratches on a Makrolon guard?

Yes, deep scratches on a Makrolon guard can be repaired. First, clean the surface with soap and water and sand the area around the scratch with fine-grit sandpaper. Next, use a plastic polish or rubbing compound to buff out the scratch. If the scratch is still visible, you can fill it in with a plastic adhesive or epoxy and let it dry before polishing the surface again.

3. Is it possible to replace a broken piece of Makrolon guard?

Yes, it is possible to replace a broken piece of Makrolon guard. First, remove the broken piece by gently prying it away from the guard. Then, clean the area with soap and water and sand it with fine-grit sandpaper. Next, use a plastic adhesive or epoxy to attach the new piece and let it dry completely before using the guard again.

4. Are there any special tools or equipment needed for on-site repair of Makrolon guards?

For basic repairs such as cracks and scratches, you will only need fine-grit sandpaper, a plastic cleaner or acetone, and a plastic adhesive or epoxy. However, for more extensive repairs or replacements, you may need additional tools such as a heat gun, clamps, and a plastic welding kit.

5. Can Makrolon guards be repaired multiple times?

It is possible to repair a Makrolon guard multiple times, but it may weaken the overall structure of the guard. It is recommended to only repair a guard a maximum of two to three times before replacing it entirely. Additionally, it is important to properly clean and prepare the surface before each repair to ensure the best results.