On the non-applicability of Newtonian mechanics

• B
  • Thread starter trees and plants
  • Start date
trees and plants
Hello. The questions are: Why Newtonian mechanics is not applicable to quantum mechanics and more natural phenomena in gravity? So, we needed general relativity which offers a metric theory about gravity and applies to more phenomena in nature, but how is this explained that special and general relativity where needed? About the Lorentz transformations in special relativity, how did they occur? Thank you.

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
This question is threefold - "Why do you need QM?" "Why do you need GR?" and "How does SR" work. These all require chapters of textbooks, if not entire textbooks.

What research have you done to answer this question?
Also, A-level means you want a graduate-level answer. That means you've already seen these textbooks. Which ones and what didn't you understand?

Likes lomidrevo
trees and plants
This question is threefold - "Why do you need QM?" "Why do you need GR?" and "How does SR" work. These all require chapters of textbooks, if not entire textbooks.

What research have you done to answer this question?
Also, A-level means you want a graduate-level answer. That means you've already seen these textbooks. Which ones and what didn't you understand?
I have read mostly from pdfs about quantum mechanics, quantum field theory and general relativity. Perhaps the writers told about it in the beginning of the pdfs? I did not read something about it.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I have read mostly from pdfs

That is utterly and completely useless. Why do you think the file format answers the question. That's no better than "I read it in a book!"

You're asking us to write a book, or at least a couple chapters, when you apparently have not looked yourself. Is this reasonable?

trees and plants
Ok, i should better read the pdfs. Sorry for that.

Hello. The questions are: Why Newtonian mechanics is not applicable to quantum mechanics and more natural phenomena in gravity? So, we needed general relativity which offers a metric theory about gravity and applies to more phenomena in nature, but how is this explained that special and general relativity where needed? About the Lorentz transformations in special relativity, how did they occur? Thank you.
Very brief answer: because classical Newtonian mechanics is not in accordance with several observations and experiments. For detailed answers you would really need to study few textbooks involving all the topics you asked about, as suggested by @Vanadium 50

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
trees and plants
So what kind of questions should i ask? Perhaps those whose answers are not at textbooks or pdfs or scientific journals? Or perhaps some exercises or problems that i have difficulty in solving?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
So what kind of questions should i ask?

Questions where you have done some work on your own to find the answers. Don't just ask us to write you a textbook.

Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
So what kind of questions should i ask?
Where we can help is while you are carefully reading the textbooks and you come on specific small questions that confuse you. This question was far too broad and general. Remember, this is an Internet forum, so answers are going to be a few hundred words at most. We can answer specific questions in that amount, but not write you a textbook.

This thread is closed.