Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On the relation between quantum and statistical mechanics

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1

Demystifier

Science Advisor

It is well known that quantum mechanics in the path-integral form is formally very similar to equilibrium statistical mechanics formulated in terms of a partition function. In a relatively recent, very readable and straightforward paper
    http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1311.0813
    John Baez (a well known mathematical physicist) and Blake Pollard develop this formal analogy further by introducing a quantum analogy of entropy, which they call quantropy. I feel that this paper might be interesting and illuminating for many people on this forum.

Another reason for posting it is to make a concealed critique of AdS/CFT correspondence. This example demonstrates that, just because there is a mathematical correspondence between two theories, doesn't mean that the two theories really describe the same physics.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2015 #2
    Similar considerations may apply between information theory and statistical mechanics ? The same mathematical expression occurs both in statistical mechanics (thermodynamic entropy) and in information theory (information-theory entropy) does not in itself establish any connection between these fields ?

Patrick

4. Jan 23, 2015 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

In this case the relation is much more than merely formal. Both entropies are really examples of entropy in a semantic sense, which cannot be said for quantropy.

5. Jan 23, 2015 #4
    E.T Jaynes wrote in his book "Probability Theory The Logic of Science"

Patrick

6. Jan 23, 2015 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I think Jaynes wanted to say that within thermal physics there are two semantically different notions of entropy: one statistical and the other thermodynamical. If this is what he wanted to say, then I agree. But statistical Gibbs entropy in thermal physics and statistical Shannon entropy are semantically very much related.

7. Jan 23, 2015 #6
    May be, yet his goal seem to show that statistical mechanics, communication theory, and a mass of other applications are all instances of a single method of reasoning.

A viewpoint from which thermondynamic entropy and information-therory entropy appear as the same concept ( http://bayes.wustl.edu/etj/articles/theory.1.pdf )

Isn't it the case for the concept of quantropy ?

Patrick

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  8. Jan 23, 2015 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

No. Entropy is derived from probability, which is a positive quantity. Quantropy is derived from probability amplitude, which is not a positive quantity.

9. Jan 23, 2015 #8

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting idea. I haven't read the entire paper too closely, but I'm wondering about the correspondence [itex]T \mapsto i\hbar[/itex]. In stat mech, you have a lot of quantities that are derivatives with respect to [tex]\beta \propto \frac{1}{T}[/tex]
    For instance: [tex]\langle E \rangle = - \frac{d}{d\beta}ln Z[/tex]
    How much sense does it make to have a derivative with respect to a constant (Planck's constant)?

10. Jan 23, 2015 #9

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Mathematically, there is no problem with it. Physically, you can replace Planck constant with a true variable y, perform a derivative with respect to y, and then evaluate all quantities at y=h. The result is the same.

11. Jan 23, 2015 #10

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, but I'm not sure what insight it adds. Reading the paper, it seems like the authors aren't really sure either. Although, glancing over it again, the partition function has a suggestive form [tex]Z=\frac{2\pi \hbar i \Delta t}{m (\Delta x)^2}[/tex]
    so that if we choose [tex]\frac{\Delta t}{(\Delta x)^2}=\frac{1}{c} \frac{1}{ \Delta \tilde{x}}[/tex]
    we get [tex]Z=\frac{ih}{mc\Delta \tilde{x}}[/tex]
    so that the length parameter [itex]\Delta \tilde{x}[/itex] and the partition function [itex]Z[/itex] define the Compton wavelength of the particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook