Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(?) on using external dvd cd rom

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    Got this external cd dvd drive made by dell the model is No. Pd01s.
    I would like to know how to hook it up because the end is not a regular usb end it lloks more like a double usb end.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2
    One of the usbs provides power and the other is for data, so you just plug both of them into the computer.

4. Jul 18, 2012 #3
  5. Jul 18, 2012 #4
    It appears that connection is called a D Bay connection and it was used by Dell as a connection for external drives for their Laptops.

So unless you have a Dell laptop with that connection or you can find an adapter (I tried but couldn't find one on google) you're out of luck.

6. Jul 19, 2012 #5
    See i learn this every day and its a first to learn what a D Bay connection is thanks for helping me :)

7. Jul 19, 2012 #6
  8. Jul 19, 2012 #7
  9. Jul 20, 2012 #8
    Not directly, as it has two SMB lines for drive control. I'd need to look up how those worked.

However, it's almost certainly a standard optical drive with a custom controller circuit (interface), so you *should* be able to take the drive itself out of its casing, and fit it into a regular USB external case with a regular interface. The pinout diagram will enable you to identify which are the USBs on the drive end, by tracing them backwards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook