(?) on using external dvd cd rom

• Thread starter slee95
  • Start date
Got this external cd dvd drive made by dell the model is No. Pd01s.
I would like to know how to hook it up because the end is not a regular usb end it lloks more like a double usb end.

Answers and Replies

One of the usbs provides power and the other is for data, so you just plug both of them into the computer.

It appears that connection is called a D Bay connection and it was used by Dell as a connection for external drives for their Laptops.

So unless you have a Dell laptop with that connection or you can find an adapter (I tried but couldn't find one on google) you're out of luck.

See i learn this every day and its a first to learn what a D Bay connection is thanks for helping me :)

can i take that end off and pout on a regular usb end?
Not directly, as it has two SMB lines for drive control. I'd need to look up how those worked.

However, it's almost certainly a standard optical drive with a custom controller circuit (interface), so you *should* be able to take the drive itself out of its casing, and fit it into a regular USB external case with a regular interface. The pinout diagram will enable you to identify which are the USBs on the drive end, by tracing them backwards.