1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One-Dimensional Heat Equation Problem

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1
    Hi, I need help to solve this problem, about 1-D heat equation

[tex]\partial[/tex]u / [tex]\partial[/tex]t = k ([tex]\partial[/tex]2u / [tex]\partial[/tex]x2)-2u (0< x <1)

u(x,0)=e-x
    u(0,t)=e-2t
    u(1,t)=0

I need to solve it with separation variable

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok... what have you done so far? Do you know how to start a problem like this?

4. Jun 14, 2009 #3
    No, I have no idea how to start it, bcos it's non-homogeneous eq, can u help me?

5. Jun 15, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just realized that you don't actually have the heat equation in your first post. There should be no -2u term in the equation. Can you verify what you're supposed to be solving?

If you're actually trying to solve the heat equation, then start with u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) for some X and T functions and then try to separate the x's and the t's

6. Jun 15, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Even with the "-2u" term, do exactly what Office Shredder says, just what you would normally do to "separate variables"- let u(x,t)= X(x)T(t) and put into the equation:

[tex]X\frac{du}{dt}= \kappa T\frac{d^2X}{dx^2}- 2XT[/tex]

divided through by XT and see what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook