The hot-air ballon intersection question.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from an online homework assignment involving a hot-air balloon and a camera. The passenger in the balloon realizes she left her camera on the ground and her friend tosses it upward. The question asks for the height of the passenger when the camera reaches her, with the answer to be expressed in two significant figures. The attempt at solving the problem involves setting two equations equal and solving for time, but the online homework website is indicating a possible rounding error or incorrect use of significant figures. The suggested answer is 3.2, but it has been tried and deemed incorrect.
aeabdo11
I am close to positive I am going at this problem the correct way, but there seems to be some error somewhere. This problem is from online homework.

Homework Statement

A hot-air balloon has just lifted off and is rising at the constant rate of 2.2 m/s. Suddenly one of the passengers realizes she has left her camera on the ground. A friend picks it up and tosses it straight upward with an initial speed of 12 m/s.

If the passenger is 2.5 m above her friend when the camera is tossed, how high is she when the camera reaches her?
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

X=Xo+Vot+(.5)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know I need to set the two equations equal and solve for time.

2.5+2.2t=12t-(.5)(9.81)t^2

Solving for t (using quad. equation) gives solutions as t=.3 , t= 1.7

Now I plug the time into the first equation and solve for x for the hot-air balloon at .3 seconds.

2.5+2.2(.3) = 3.16 m

As should be the case, I get the same answer when figuring x for the camera:

12(.3)-(.5)(9.81)(.3)^2= 3.158 m

When I plug this answer into the online homework it says, "Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures."

I have tried the following answers, none of which work: 3.1, 3.15, 3.2

PLEASE HELP ME FIND WHAT I'M MISSING PLEASE!

Thanks a lot.
-Anthony

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is correct. Since the online homework website is saying that you're having some kind of rounding error, I went on checking the values. It appears that the actual value should be approximately 3.16045. Try to input 3.16 as an answer there.

I would have already tried that answer but the question asks for the answer to be in only two significant figures. "3.16" is three figures is it not (this significant figure thing is a bit confusing)?

aeabdo11 said:
I would have already tried that answer but the question asks for the answer to be in only two significant figures. "3.16" is three figures is it not (this significant figure thing is a bit confusing)?
In case of 'two significant figures', the answer should definitely be 3.2

Yeah Iv'e tried it...says incorrect.

Related to The hot-air ballon intersection question.

1. What is the hot-air balloon intersection question?

The hot-air balloon intersection question is a mathematical problem that involves two hot-air balloons that are flying towards each other at different speeds and altitudes. The question asks at what point the two balloons will intersect in the air.

2. How is this question relevant to science?

This question is relevant to science because it involves the principles of motion, speed, and geometry. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in scientific research and experimentation.

3. What information is needed to solve this question?

To solve the hot-air balloon intersection question, you need to know the starting positions and speeds of the two balloons, as well as their rates of ascent or descent. You also need to have a basic understanding of trigonometry and geometry.

4. Is there a specific formula or method for solving this question?

Yes, there is a specific formula called the Pythagorean theorem that can be used to solve the hot-air balloon intersection question. This formula involves finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the distances between the two balloons at different points in time.

5. What are the real-world applications of this question?

The hot-air balloon intersection question has real-world applications in various fields such as aviation, meteorology, and navigation. It can also be used to solve problems involving the movement of two objects in a three-dimensional space, making it relevant in fields such as physics and engineering.