One dimensional motion problem, overcoming head start

In summary, the problem involves two cars, A and B, racing along a straight road with Car A having a head start and Car B having a better engine and thus a faster speed. The question asks for the time it takes for Car B to catch up to Car A. The attempted solution involves setting the distances of the two cars equal to each other and solving for time, but this was initially incorrect due to using the wrong variable for velocity.
creechur
I know this problem has been posted before, but I think my answer is correct and I want to know why it was considered wrong!

Homework Statement

Cars A and B are racing each other along the same straight road in the following manner: Car A has a head start and is a distance Da beyond the starting line at t=0. The starting line is at x=0. Car A travels at a constant speed va. Car B starts at the starting line but has a better engine than Car A, and thus Car B travels at a constant speed vb, which is greater than va.

Homework Equations

xb=xa
when b catches up to a

The Attempt at a Solution

I just set the two equal to one another:

vb(t) = Da + Va (t)

solving for t I arrived at

t = Da \ (vb - va)

and was quickly told that the answer didn't depend on va and vb...If that's true then I have no idea where to proceed and would appreciate any guidance on where to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
creechur said:
solving for t I arrived at

t = Da \ (vb - va)

and was quickly told that the answer didn't depend on va and vb...If that's true then I have no idea where to proceed and would appreciate any guidance on where to start.

What's the actual question? If it asks you for the time it takes B to catch up to A, then your work is right.

ideasrule said:
What's the actual question? If it asks you for the time it takes B to catch up to A, then your work is right.
that is the actual question, my inability to distinguish letters was the problem, thanks for the help

wow, I feel dumb. My homework is entered electronically online, and I was actually putting the wrong variable for the velocity of the two cars. I was entering the greek letter nu because I thought that was what the problem was using...turns out it was lowercase v. Still, glad I found this site and will definitely be using this in the future, but this thread can be closed.

1. What is one dimensional motion?

One dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object along a single straight line, without any changes in direction.

2. What does it mean to overcome head start in a one dimensional motion problem?

In a one dimensional motion problem, overcoming head start means that an object starts its motion at a certain distance ahead of another object and then catches up to and passes it.

3. How do you calculate the distance traveled in a one dimensional motion problem?

The distance traveled in a one dimensional motion problem can be calculated using the formula d = v*t, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

4. What factors affect an object's one dimensional motion?

The factors that affect an object's one dimensional motion include its initial velocity, acceleration, mass, and any external forces acting on it.

5. Can an object in one dimensional motion ever change direction?

No, an object in one dimensional motion only moves along a single straight line and cannot change direction.