1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional motion problem, overcoming head start

1. Aug 22, 2009 #1
    I know this problem has been posted before, but I think my answer is correct and I want to know why it was considered wrong!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Cars A and B are racing each other along the same straight road in the following manner: Car A has a head start and is a distance Da beyond the starting line at t=0. The starting line is at x=0. Car A travels at a constant speed va. Car B starts at the starting line but has a better engine than Car A, and thus Car B travels at a constant speed vb, which is greater than va.

2. Relevant equations

xb=xa
    when b catches up to a

3. The attempt at a solution

I just set the two equal to one another:

vb(t) = Da + Va (t)

solving for t I arrived at

t = Da \ (vb - va)

and was quickly told that the answer didn't depend on va and vb...If that's true then I have no idea where to proceed and would appreciate any guidance on where to start.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

What's the actual question? If it asks you for the time it takes B to catch up to A, then your work is right.

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3
    that is the actual question, my inability to distinguish letters was the problem, thanks for the help

wow, I feel dumb. My homework is entered electronically online, and I was actually putting the wrong variable for the velocity of the two cars. I was entering the greek letter nu because I thought that was what the problem was using...turns out it was lowercase v. Still, glad I found this site and will definately be using this in the future, but this thread can be closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook