Applying Relative Motion to One Dimensional Motion Equations

In summary: This was corrected to ##10## km/h in the last step, but you need to use the correct value for the remainder of the equation.In summary, the problem involves two cars, A and B, with velocities of 60 km/h and 70 km/h respectively. After a certain time, the two cars are 2.5 km apart and car B starts decelerating at a rate of 20 km/h^2. The question asks for the time it takes for car A to catch up with car B. The Relative Motion Concept is applied to solve the problem, but an incorrect value for the velocity is used, resulting in an incorrect solution.
Better WOrld
<<Moderator note: LaTeX corrected>>

Problem:
> Two cars A and B move with velocity ##60 kmh^{-1}## and ##70 kmh^{-1}##. After a certain time, the two cars are 2.5 km apart. At that time, car B starts decelerating at the rate 20 kmh-2. How long does Car A take to catch up with Car B?

I tried to apply Relative Motion Concept to try and solve this problem. However, I cannot understand how to apply it to this problem.

My attempt:
I tried to apply the Relative Motion Concept to this problem as follows.

$$u_{AB}=u_A-u_B=60-70=-10kmh^{-1}$$
As per the question, the separation between the two cars ie ##S_{AB}=-2.5km## after 15 minutes.

Now, since Car A catches up with Car B eventually, thus ##S_{AB_{final}}=0## and ##S_{AB_{initial}}=-2.5km ##
$$\Longrightarrow S_{AB_{final}}-S_{AB_{initial}}=0-(-2.5)=u_{AB}\times t + \dfrac{1}{2}a_{AB}\times t^2$$
Now ##a_{AB}=a_A-a_B=0-(-20)=20kmh^{-2}## and ##u_{AB}=10kmh^{-1}##
$$\Longrightarrow 2.5=10t+10t^2$$
However, on solving this quadratic, I get a value of time which is incorrect. Would somebody please be so kind as to show me how to correctly apply the concept of Relative Motion here? I would be truly grateful for any assistance. Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Better WOrld said:
Now ##a_{AB}=a_A-a_B=0-(-20)=20kmh^{-2}## and ##u_{AB}=10kmh^{-1}##

You have used the wrong value for the velocity, you found earlier that ##u_{AB} = -10## km/h.

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the movement of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the perspective of the observer and the reference point used to measure the motion.

2. How is relative motion applied to one-dimensional motion equations?

In one-dimensional motion, relative motion is applied by considering the velocity and position of the object in relation to the reference point. The equations used are the same as those used for one-dimensional motion, but the values are adjusted according to the observer's perspective.

3. What is the difference between absolute and relative motion?

Absolute motion refers to the actual, measurable movement of an object in space, regardless of the observer's perspective. Relative motion, on the other hand, takes into account the observer's perspective and the reference point used to measure the motion.

4. How does the concept of relative motion help in solving problems?

The concept of relative motion allows us to analyze the motion of objects from different perspectives and reference points. This can help in solving problems by providing a more complete understanding of the motion and allowing us to choose the most appropriate reference point for calculations.

5. Can relative motion be applied to more than one dimension?

Yes, relative motion can be applied to multiple dimensions. In two or three-dimensional motion, the same principles of considering the observer's perspective and reference point apply. The equations used may be more complex, but the concept remains the same.