One final problem involving electrical fields

In summary, a positively charged sphere with a charge of 5.0 x 10^-6 C is placed one fifth of the distance between two negatively charged spheres, one with a charge of -3.0 x 10^-6 C and the other with a charge of -6.0 x 10^-6 C. The spheres are separated by a distance of 10.0cm. The net force on the positively charged sphere can be calculated by treating the spheres as point charges and using the Coulomb electric force equation. The net force will depend on the distance between the spheres and the magnitude of their charges. The net electric field experienced by the positively charged sphere can also be calculated using the Coulomb electric field equation. There
avb203796
A sphere with a charge of 5.0 x 10^-6 C is placed one fifth of the distance between two negatively charged spheres, as measured from the left. The sphere to the left has a charge of -3.0 x 10^-6 C and the sphere to the right has a charge of -6.0 x 10^-6 C. A distance of 10.0cm separates the end spheres. Calculate the net force on the positively charged sphere. In what direction is the net force? What is the net electric field that the positively charged sphere experiences? Is there a point where the net electrical field is zero? If so, where?

Ok so I am not positive how to go about solving this one. I know that teo point charges separated by given distance exert the same force on each other therefore I would think that there is a point where the net electrical field is zero and I would guess that point would be at 5.0 cm but i am not sure. where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about treating the spheres as point charges? Then the location is given by the location of the center of the spheres.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elefor.html#c2

Then try starting with writing the equation for the Coulomb electric force. There is one equation for the left (-) sphere and (+) sphere, and there is a second equation for the right (-) sphere and (+) sphere.

Since the (+) sphere is one-fifth the way between, one distance is 0.2 the separation of the two negative spheres and the other distance is 0.8 the separation.

The negatively charged spheres have different magnitudes of negative charge, so the zero electric is not midway.

So then after I get the two forces do I just add them to get the net force? And after I have the net force how do I go about the rest of the problem?

Last edited:

What is "One final problem involving electrical fields"?

"One final problem involving electrical fields" is a hypothetical scenario often used in physics and engineering courses to demonstrate the application of principles in electrical fields.

What is the purpose of this problem?

The purpose of this problem is to challenge students to use their knowledge of electrical fields to solve a complex scenario, thereby reinforcing their understanding of the principles and equations involved.

What are the key components of this problem?

This problem typically involves a charged particle or object, an electric field, and a set of given conditions and parameters such as distance, charge, and voltage. It may also include additional factors such as motion, acceleration, and forces.

What skills are required to solve this problem?

Solving this problem requires a solid understanding of principles and equations related to electrical fields, as well as critical thinking skills to apply them in a complex scenario. It also requires the ability to analyze and interpret data, and to use problem-solving strategies to arrive at a solution.

How can this problem be applied in real-world situations?

The principles and skills used to solve this problem can be applied in many real-world situations, such as designing electrical circuits, calculating the electric fields in a given area, or understanding the behavior of charged particles in various environments. These skills are also essential for careers in engineering, physics, and other related fields.