One more: three block, a table, and a pulley

In summary, the conversation revolved around a physics problem involving a table with boxes connected by a string and a pulley. The goal was to find the speed and time of descent for a 35 kg mass after being released from rest. The first part of the question, which asked for the work done against friction, was solved. However, there were difficulties in finding the speed, with the suggestion to use forces and kinematics. It was mentioned that the kinetic energy of the blocks still on the table may have been forgotten in the calculations. It was confirmed that standard kinematics can be used to find the time.
dkgojackets

Homework Statement

There is a table with a 6.9 kg box and a 5 kg box on it, connected by a string. The string goes around a pulley on the corner of the table, between the 5 kg box and a 35 kg box which it holds up. The coefficient of friction is .55 b/w the table and 6.9 kg box and .33 b/w table and 5 kg box. After releasing the system from rest, the 35 kg box descends .2 m. I need to find the speed of the 35 kg mass and the time it takes to drop .2 m.

Homework Equations

more work-energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the first part of the question, which asked for the work done against friction. The answer is 10.6722 J. In my attempt at speed, I took the potential energy of the mass (35 x 9.8 x .2), subtracted the work done against friction, and set the answer equal to the kinetic energy at the end, but the resulting velocity was wrong. I'm sure I can just use kinematics to find time once I get the final velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried the problem using forces to get the acceleration and then kinematics to find velocity and got the same wrong answer. What am I missing?

You have this expression:

[tex]
\Delta KE + \Delta PE = W^{\mathrm{NC}}
[/tex]

We can rewrite this as (as you have, intuitively):

[tex]
KE_{\mathrm{hanging block}} + KE_{\mathrm{sliding blocks}} = PE_{\mathrm{hanging block}} - W_{\mathrm{friction}}
[/tex]

I suspect that in your calculations you have forgotten to take into account the kinetic energy of the blocks still on the table. However, this would be more straightforward to solve with forces.

Last edited:
That would be it. Thank you. I assume standard kinematics can be used to find the time?

By "standard," if you mean constant acceleration, then yes.

1. What is the purpose of the pulley in this scenario?

The pulley is used to change the direction of the force needed to lift the three block system. It allows the person pulling the rope to lift the blocks upwards instead of having to pull them horizontally.

2. How does the weight of the table affect the amount of force needed to lift the blocks?

The weight of the table does not affect the amount of force needed to lift the blocks. The weight of the table only adds to the overall weight of the system, but it does not change the weight of the blocks themselves.

3. Why is it important to have a solid table for this experiment?

A solid table is important because it provides a stable base for the pulley and the blocks. If the table is not solid, it could move or tip over during the experiment, affecting the results.

4. Can the number of blocks be increased in this experiment?

Yes, the number of blocks can be increased in this experiment. However, it may require a stronger pulley system or additional people pulling the rope to lift the blocks.

5. How does the angle of the rope affect the force needed to lift the blocks?

The angle of the rope does not affect the force needed to lift the blocks. As long as the rope is parallel to the direction of the force needed to lift the blocks, the amount of force needed will remain the same.