How can I cope with giving up my favorite sport due to injuries?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, this thread is about giving up things against your will. Specifically, I'm looking for encouraging, optimistic stories.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This thread is about giving up things against your will. Specifically I’m looking for encouraging, optimistic stories!

My story: I’m slowly facing the sad truth.

I’ve been a runner nearly all my life but it’s all catching up to me. In the last year I’ve had iliotibial band syndrome, a possible torn meniscus in my knee, and a stress fracture in my femur – I think I’ve spent more time recovering from stupid injuries than being healthy.

Of course I’ve done lots of other sports but nothing beats a nice jog for convenience and an effective cardiovascular workout. Plus I just love it, I don’t want to give it up! And yet I sit here on my couch, after a short 3 mile jog earlier this evening, as my knees say, “please please, no more!”

So what have you had to give up, and – more importantly – how did you come to terms with the loss?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to hear that lisab. I've had to give up doing things, but I can't be encouraging or optimistic about it. I want my old life back.

Sorry to hear this. In order to cope, can you take up swimming or some such that doesn't put such a strain on the knees? I was a skirt chaser until the AIDS epidemic made it to the front page and I decided to give it up. I coped by getting married. No, coped is not the right word. Since I got married, I see better days and do better things.

Yeah, I think I will do some swimming until I find something better, but that's just a stopgap step. I was a competitive swimmer in high school. It's something that comes naturally to me but I got bored of watching lane lines for hours every day.

(Lane lines are those lines at the bottom of the pool that act as guides to keep swimmers in their lanes.)

I wonder how long I'm going to be able to get into the mosh pit of rock concerts. I'm 28 years old now, and I'm not nearly as spry as I used to be. I still love going to rock concerts, but I feel in a few years, I'll turn into "creepy old guy," to steal a comedian's joke whose name I cannot remember at the...Greg Behrendt. Sorry, I should backspace all of that, but let's roll with it.

Hard choices, basil! I was a long-distance runner all through HS and into college, and ended up working on concrete floors on paper machines not long after. I ended up with deteriorated cartilage in my knees, which had to be surgically removed. After that, even a bit of jogging was practically impossible.

Now, I have arthritis in both knees, and have pain whenever my immune system flares up, and whenever low-pressure systems settle in. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

I had to give up being lazy. It was far too strenuous of an activity to do forever.

I think swimming is something we should do.

This is one of my favorite pools for swimming, it goes around the little island in the middle.

Attachments

• cozumelelevator5cz.jpg
    cozumelelevator5cz.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 485
Evo said:

This is one of my favorite pools for swimming, it goes around the little island in the middle.

Oh I'd love to swim there :!)! And stop at the swim-up bar every lap!

That picture looks like it was taken inside a computer game.

Pengwuino said:
That picture looks like it was taken inside a computer game.
It was taken from inside an outdoor glass elevator.

Evo said:

Is that a lazy river?

Evo said:
It was taken from inside an outdoor glass elevator.

It just... looks so fake.

Pengwuino said:
Probably the effect of the glass. And then scanning the photo with the first photo scanner ever made. It's a regular paper photo, and looks much better than the scanned version.

I should get the photo and rescan it.

I'm sorry to hear about this, Lisa. :frown: My boss is in the same position, and he's told me that cycling doesn't bother his knees at all. He doesn't ride very aggressively, though.

Kayaking, although not as convenient as running, can be a solid workout. And what about rock climbing?

Evo said:
Probably the effect of the glass. And then scanning the photo with the first photo scanner ever made. It's a regular paper photo, and looks much better than the scanned version.

I should get the photo and rescan it.

Lies.

Evo said:

I used to run a lot when I was young, but no more. But I swam a lot, too, and can still do that. I love the water. Being in it, on it, around it.

I used to run as well, but alas, my body is too broken (knees, hip, shoulder and wrist) and running is too high impact. I took up bike riding about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. With a mountain bike I can satisfy my need for going fast / getting loose on the dirt, or I can take it well easy on the road or a path. It's also a lot more efficient as a form of transport, I use my bike instead of the car for most things within 5-10km except grocery shopping.

There's something about running though, that zen feeling you get when you've been going for a while and your legs and lungs are on autopilot, mind is empty, sounds seem distant... it's sooo gooood! I don't get that on a bike (although I don't ride like that either, maybe you would if you did epic road rides, 50-100km+).

Pengwuino said:
Pengwuino said:
Lies.
Stop it, pengy bird... hehe I know the rub you are inferring. Zz's Photo Contest...

Lisa,

What about surgery, and then take up bicycling, gently of course, if you use those stupid pedal things, you can put more rotational energy on your good leg until you build strength in the other one. I have bicycled my whole life and knock on wood am still able to. It is tough giving up something you love too, the secret is finding another substitute that makes you just (or nearly just) as happy. Best wishes :wink:

Rhody...

Don't think of it as giving up Lisab, think of it as a change of hobby! When you can't jog, you can do other things.

Personally I've had to give up living like the happy student I was a few years ago! Real life is so depressing.

My ITB's are dodgy and my knee's are getting bad too so I ride my bike around the place and enjoy the run only a couple times a week. I would echo the sentiment about rock climbing and add hiking to the list.

I recently did some of the NZ 3 day 'Great Walks' which were a trivial and awesome 'introduction to hiking' at only 6Hrs a day, and while its not feasible every day, doing day hikes let's me get that feeling you mention, but at a slower and controlled pace.

I have cut back the team 100km continuous hike I enjoy doing (and training for) to every 2nd year, as I usually can't walk for a few days afterwards. Theres still time to organise myself into it this year, and as the date draws ever closer I look at the track with sadness, thinking I really shouldn't do it, but I really really want to.

What to do eh?

I saw Cirque du Soleil recently and the gymnastics & acrobatics looked awesome, perhaps I should shift my focus towards ruining my arms for a little bit instead :tongue:.

I used to enjoy piloting light aircraft but had to give it up due to cost, i would recommend it to anyone who has a feel for freedom.

Sorry to hear about your parts Lisa, if you like i will come and rub them with woolie balm. :biggrin:

wolram said:
I used to enjoy piloting light aircraft but had to give it up due to cost, i would recommend it to anyone who has a feel for freedom.

Sorry to hear about your parts Lisa, if you like i will come and rub them with woolie balm. :biggrin:

:!) you're so sweet, Woolie

wolram said:
Wait! What about me?

Evo said:
Wait! What about me?

Ok, Let's not turn this into a swedish or any other kind of massage thread. Lisa,
given the situation, what activities do you think you CAN handle ? More important,
something that you enjoy (or learn to enjoy) as well ?

Rhody... o:)

lisab said:
So what have you had to give up, and – more importantly – how did you come to terms with the loss?

I'm not there yet, but at 28 I am even starting to feel the beginning of the end. For the last 8 or so years I've been playing 3-4 soccer games a week with no real problems. Just within the last year I've noticed my hip joints starting to go. My range of motion has really decreased, cutting is painful and overall hip pain most of the time. Not good! :( I've pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll no longer be a dominate force on the field and rather started to mentally prepare for this new "age" by playing a little differently and adjusting expectations.

rhody said:
Ok, Let's not turn this into a swedish or any other kind of massage thread. Lisa,
given the situation, what activities do you think you CAN handle ? More important,
something that you enjoy (or learn to enjoy) as well ?

Rhody... o:)

I'm going to have to explore alternatives. Does anyone have experience with boot camp classes? They're quite popular around here - short-term (one or two months), very intense training that covers strength and cardio.

Or kettlebell training - any PFers ever try that?

Problem is, I'd have to stick to a class schedule :frown: and these classes cost money :mad:. But it might be worth it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm not there yet, but at 28 I am even starting to feel the beginning of the end. For the last 8 or so years I've been playing 3-4 soccer games a week with no real problems. Just within the last year I've noticed my hip joints starting to go. My range of motion has really decreased, cutting is painful and overall hip pain most of the time. Not good! :( I've pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll no longer be a dominate force on the field and rather started to mentally prepare for this new "age" by playing a little differently and adjusting expectations.
Greg,

It is wise to heed your body's warning. I work with someone who had a hip replacement two years ago, long story short, the graft, plates, pins, etc... didn't take and he is facing the same surgery AGAIN ! If the genes for bad hips run in your family it might be smart to have it checked now, so as to save you his fate when you reach ripe middle age.

Rhody...

Greg Bernhardt said:

Wow, that is sad. I played a few times a week until I was nearly 50 (it became too hard to take long lunches at work). One cute trick you can try is to dye your hair grey. All the slow guys on the other team will be fighting each other for chance to mark you on defense. By time they realize you haven't slowed down all that much it's way too late for them.

But it is depressing when it's a certainty that there's at least one or two guys on the other team faster than you.

Bicycling is a good alternative to running. In fact, it's better for you even if your legs are healthy.

Just don't ride your bicycle on any roads that Evo drives on. She'll run you off the road without even feeling guilty about it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I was working on concrete floors pretty much continuously at that age, and my knees started aching. I ignored the pain and kept on working until I had to have cartilage removed from both knees because it was so badly shredded and split. I had to keep working, since I wasn't even middle-aged yet, but it slowed me down a lot, and now I have arthritis in both knees. One is pretty much bone-on-bone because so much cartilage had to be removed. After the surgery, the surgeon checked in on me and asked "Why did you wait so long?". I didn't have a real good answer, except that I figured I was indestructible. Obviously, I wasn't.

Take care of your joints, Greg. You're going to need them 40-50 years from now. You wouldn't want to be in my shoes, aching with every change in air pressure, unable to hike without pain, etc.

lisab said:
I'm going to have to explore alternatives. Does anyone have experience with boot camp classes? They're quite popular around here - short-term (one or two months), very intense training that covers strength and cardio.

Or kettlebell training - any PFers ever try that?

Problem is, I'd have to stick to a class schedule :frown: and these classes cost money :mad:. But it might be worth it.

i was going to suggest you do something like get a foam roller for your ITB, etc., but now i see that you're determined to find some surrogate activity to go to extremes on and re-injure yourself. kettlebells would be fine, and you can do it at home. problem is, if you try to go to some extreme with "very intense training", you'll end up in the same boat, but this time it will be your shoulders instead of your knees.

it sounds like you need to learn to back off, maybe on both intensity and frequency. you're not recovering.

BobG said:
Just don't ride your bicycle on any roads that Evo drives on. She'll run you off the road without even feeling guilty about it.
Yes, this is true.

1. How can I cope with the emotional impact of giving up my favorite sport due to injuries?

It can be difficult to let go of something that brings us joy and fulfillment. It is important to acknowledge and accept your feelings of sadness, frustration, and disappointment. Seek support from friends, family, or a therapist to process your emotions and find healthy ways to cope.

2. How can I stay connected to my sport even if I can no longer play?

Consider becoming a coach, mentor, or volunteer for your sport. This allows you to stay involved and share your knowledge and passion with others. You can also attend games or events as a spectator, join online communities, or continue to follow your favorite teams and athletes.

3. How can I find a new physical activity to replace my favorite sport?

Explore different types of physical activities that align with your interests and abilities. This could be a low-impact sport, such as swimming or yoga, or a recreational activity like hiking or dancing. Consult with a doctor or physical therapist to find safe options for your specific injury.

4. How can I maintain a sense of identity without my favorite sport?

It is common to feel a loss of identity when giving up a sport that has been a big part of your life. Remember that your sport does not define you as a person. Focus on other aspects of your life, such as your relationships, hobbies, and personal values. You may also find it helpful to set new goals and pursue new interests.

5. How can I prevent future injuries if I return to my favorite sport?

Consult with a doctor or physical therapist to create a plan for safely returning to your sport. This may include proper warm-up and cool-down routines, strengthening exercises, and listening to your body for any warning signs of potential injuries. It is important to prioritize your health and well-being above the sport.