One-to-one function determination

In summary, the function f(x) is one to one if and only if x belongs to the domain of the function. If you flip the function over, you get y=\frac{x}{1+x^2}.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Without a graphing calculator, how can you tell that the function

f(x) = x/(x^2+1) is one-to-one?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You can sketch both x and 1/(x^2+1) separately but I did not think it was obvious that when you multiplied them togethor the result was not one-to-one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is your homework problem actually to show that that function is one-to-one? One way to show that a function is one-to-one is to start by stating the definition of one-to-one, and then prove that this function satisfies the definition.

Last edited:
A function is one-to-one if whenever s1 and s2 are two different elements in the domain, f(s1) is not equal to s2.

Last edited:
The contrapositive is often easier to work with; if f(x)=f(y), then x=y.

It is one-to-one function so that assuming that
f(a)=f(b)
we find easily that a=b.
you can follow the link to see the graph

http://www.4shared.com/file/d8TFg6zC/emad.html

Find what value/values of x belong to a certain value of y. ehild

You are asked to show:
[tex]
\frac{a}{1+a^{2}}=\frac{b}{1+b^{2}}
[/tex]
So expand and write as a quadratic:
[tex]
b^{2}-\Bigg( a+\frac{1}{a}\Bigg) b+1=0
[/tex]
If f(x) is one to one, the above quadratic should have one and only one solution, does it?

If you flip the function over, you get

[tex]y=\frac{x}{1+x^2} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{y} = x+\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

That might be a bit easier to analyze.

You can factorise, my quadratic equation.

Mat

Yeah, I know. I was just offering yet another way to look at the problem. I hadn't really thought about the problem until I saw the linear term in your quadratic and realized you could easily deduce the answer looking at the reciprocal of the function.

I know, I was only winding you up.

What is f(0)?

What is [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)[/tex]?

What does this tell you?

Or even(coming from my quadratic equation) what is f(a) and f(1/a)?

1. What is a one-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a mathematical relationship between two sets where each element in the input set corresponds to exactly one element in the output set. This means that no two elements in the input set can have the same output value.

2. How do you determine if a function is one-to-one?

To determine if a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test. This involves drawing horizontal lines on a graph of the function and checking to see if the line intersects the graph at more than one point. If it does, then the function is not one-to-one.

3. What is the difference between a one-to-one function and a many-to-one function?

A one-to-one function has a one-to-one correspondence between the elements in the input set and the output set, whereas a many-to-one function can have more than one input value corresponding to the same output value. This means that a many-to-one function is not invertible, while a one-to-one function is.

4. Can a function be both one-to-one and onto?

Yes, a function can be both one-to-one and onto. A one-to-one function means that every input has a unique output, while an onto function means that every element in the output set has at least one corresponding input. This type of function is also called a bijective function.

5. How do you prove that a function is one-to-one?

There are a few different ways to prove that a function is one-to-one. One method is to use the definition of a one-to-one function and show that no two elements in the input set have the same output value. Another method is to use mathematical techniques such as inverse functions or composition of functions to show that the function is invertible, and therefore one-to-one.