Online Mechanical Engineering program

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering with an undergraduate degree in Physics. It is suggested to research the required classes and reach out to potential graduate advisors and universities for more information. The conversation also mentions the differences in labs and coursework between engineering and physics degrees, as well as the importance of design in engineering programs. There are also reservations about pursuing an online engineering degree due to the difficulty in substituting hands-on lab experiences.
ssyed
Summary:: From Physics to Mechanical Engineering

Hi All,
I am in search of some guidance to start my education/career in Mechanical Engineering.
I have an undergraduate degree in Physic and would like to go for Master’s in Mechanical Engineering if possible. Does anyone have an experience going this route? Also, any recommendation on the online universities in USA? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's odd. My PhD supervisor went the other way. He had an undergrad in mech eng and did his grad work in physics.

It depends how much math and experiment you did in your undergrad. Get the calendar for the universities you are considering and see if you have the correct classes. You should be able to at least request these on line, possibly even receive electronic copies. Google will help you here. Find the web sites for the universities and look in their physics department sections and see what you can find.

Also, look for direct contacts with the departments you are interested in. Send them an email and ask for the information you need. Be sure to include the following:
- Where you did your undergrad, and what program it was.
- What program you are specifically interested in.
- Ask specifically what subjects you need to have taken, and what the requirement is for entry.

If you can find candidate profs to be your graduate adviser, send them an email also. Same basic information. If you can find something about their research program, and find a way for you to contribute to that, that would be very helpful. It might even get your foot in the door.

It may be that you already have nearly everything you need. The biggest differences are likely to be:
- Engineers do more and different kinds of labs.
- Depending on the kind of engineering they may have a lab project requirement for fourth year.
- Engineers do ethics classes and economics classes. Most physics degrees don't.
- Engineers may have industry work requirements, depending on the university and degree.

I have no experience with online universities. Again, Google should help you there.

I don't have any first hand knowledge to offer, but as DEvens said, "Engineers do more and different kinds of labs." I have never figured out how they can substituted for these in an on-line engineering degree program. For this reason, I'd have reservations.

Most engineering programs have what is called a "senior design project" (this may have been what DEvens had in mind when he spoke of a 4th years lab project). I'd say this is a major difference between an engineering degree and a physics degree, both in terms of the specific course requirements and also in philosophical terms. Engineering is often legally defined as the capability to design. Design is a tough topic to teach, but few who have not at least been exposed will have the capability.

Likes russ_watters and symbolipoint

1. What is an online mechanical engineering program?

An online mechanical engineering program is a degree program that can be completed entirely online. It is designed for students who are unable to attend traditional on-campus classes due to various reasons such as work, family, or location constraints. It offers the same curriculum and courses as a traditional on-campus program, but with the flexibility of completing coursework remotely.

2. What are the benefits of an online mechanical engineering program?

There are several benefits to pursuing an online mechanical engineering program. These include flexibility in terms of schedule and location, as students can complete coursework at their own pace and from anywhere with an internet connection. It also allows students to continue working while pursuing their degree, potentially reducing financial burden. Additionally, online programs often have lower tuition costs compared to on-campus programs.

3. What are the admission requirements for an online mechanical engineering program?

The admission requirements for an online mechanical engineering program may vary depending on the institution. However, most programs require applicants to have a high school diploma or equivalent, and some may require previous coursework in math and science. Some programs may also have minimum GPA and standardized test score requirements.

4. Can I get the same quality education from an online mechanical engineering program as an on-campus program?

Yes, you can get the same quality education from an online mechanical engineering program as an on-campus program. Online programs are often taught by the same faculty and cover the same curriculum as on-campus programs. The only difference is the mode of delivery, as online programs utilize technology to deliver coursework and lectures.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of an online mechanical engineering program?

Graduates of an online mechanical engineering program have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy, among others. Some common job titles for mechanical engineering graduates include design engineer, project engineer, and research and development engineer.