Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Only half the Earth’s ionosphere is being ionized by the Sun

1. Feb 18, 2017 #1
    What is the reason for this? Is it because of the earth's rotation?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2017 #2
    If the earth did not rotate would that change the "half" to another value?

4. Feb 18, 2017 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hi Rod, please post your source for this so that everyone can read it. Thank you.

5. Feb 18, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

indeed !

@Rod Alexei .... have another try ... think about it from an earth visibility point of view ......

do you now see the reason ? :smile:

Dave

6. Feb 18, 2017 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

His thread title is correct
    He is asking why .... he just has a misunderstanding of the real reason ... which is what 256bits and myself are trying to coax out of him :wink:

7. Feb 18, 2017 #6

Evo

Which is why I asked for the source, it often solves the problem.

8. Feb 18, 2017 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think there is a "source" as such ... he's just asking "Is it because of the earth's rotation"
    as in ... I wonder if this is the reason ....
    He didn't state ... " I read somewhere that ....." making asking for a source valid

256bit has given a reason why it isn't by getting him to think about a non rotating earth situation :smile:

Dave

9. Feb 18, 2017 #8

Evo

Exactly, that might be his first clue that his thinking is wrong. I guess I could word it "Have you actually read this anywhere?" But we ask for sources, because many times, people actually come up with some oddball website that they were reading and we need to explain why it's wrong. Or they read a valid website or book, but they misunderstood what they read. I find it best not to assume that they didn't read, see, or hear something that triggered the thought.

Btw, when a thread is started it should be fleshed out with reference to an acceptable source unless it is a well known topic. The body of the thread shouldn't be in the title. And fleshing out the thread with all of the facts becomes a learning thread for other members.

From our Guidelines

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  10. Feb 18, 2017 #9
  11. Feb 18, 2017 #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

did you read 256bit's comment and ponder it ? ... it seems not
    here it is again .....
    and my comment
    get a tennis ball, baseball etc .... what do you notice about the illumination of the ball if held in front of a lit light globe ?

and all your answers are in that link you provided

Dave

12. Feb 18, 2017 #11
    Here's my second try. Thanks for your replies !
    I assume the tennis ball would be the earth, and the lit globe would be the sun.
    Only half the tennis ball would be illuminated. (I guess)

13. Feb 18, 2017 #12
    Could it be because at a given time, half of the Earth is exposed to solar radiation and the other half is not?

14. Feb 18, 2017 #13
    Well I think I have to agree.

15. Feb 18, 2017 #14
    There is, but the amount of high energy radiation coming from sources other than the Sun is tiny.

16. Feb 18, 2017 #15

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

exactly :smile:
    ... so it doesn't matter if the earth rotates on it's axis or not, only ~1/2 is illuminated

The important thing to note is that what the ionisation is doing to the ionosphere's different layers during the day
    compared to the absence of that ionising effect at nite

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted