Only half the Earth’s ionosphere is being ionized by the Sun

In summary: The important thing to note is that what the ionisation is doing to the ionosphere's different layers during the daycompared to the absence of that ionising effect at nite
Rod Alexei
What is the reason for this? Is it because of the Earth's rotation?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Rod Alexei said:
If the Earth did not rotate would that change the "half" to another value?

Likes davenn
Rod Alexei said:
Hi Rod, please post your source for this so that everyone can read it. Thank you.

256bits said:

indeed !

@Rod Alexei ... have another try ... think about it from an Earth visibility point of view ...

do you now see the reason ? :smile:Dave

Evo said:
Hi Rod, please post your source for this so that everyone can read it. Thank you.

His thread title is correct
He is asking why ... he just has a misunderstanding of the real reason ... which is what 256bits and myself are trying to coax out of him :wink:

Likes 1oldman2
davenn said:
he just has a misunderstanding of the real reason ... which is what 256bits and myself are trying to coax out of him :wink:
Which is why I asked for the source, it often solves the problem.

Evo said:
Which is why I asked for the source, it often solves the problem.

I don't think there is a "source" as such ... he's just asking "Is it because of the Earth's rotation"
as in ... I wonder if this is the reason ...
He didn't state ... " I read somewhere that ..." making asking for a source valid

256bit has given a reason why it isn't by getting him to think about a non rotating Earth situation :smile:

Dave

davenn said:
I don't think there is a "source" as such
Exactly, that might be his first clue that his thinking is wrong. I guess I could word it "Have you actually read this anywhere?" But we ask for sources, because many times, people actually come up with some oddball website that they were reading and we need to explain why it's wrong. Or they read a valid website or book, but they misunderstood what they read. I find it best not to assume that they didn't read, see, or hear something that triggered the thought.

Btw, when a thread is started it should be fleshed out with reference to an acceptable source unless it is a well known topic. The body of the thread shouldn't be in the title. And fleshing out the thread with all of the facts becomes a learning thread for other members.

From our Guidelines
Generally, discussion topics should be traceable to standard textbooks or to peer-reviewed scientific literature

Last edited:
Rod Alexei said:
Why is it half not any other value ?

did you read 256bit's comment and ponder it ? ... it seems not
here it is again ...
256bits said:

and my comment
davenn said:
@Rod Alexei ... have another try ... think about it from an Earth visibility point of view ...

do you now see the reason ? :smile:

get a tennis ball, baseball etc ... what do you notice about the illumination of the ball if held in front of a lit light globe ?

and all your answers are in that link you provided

Dave

Here's my second try. Thanks for your replies !
I assume the tennis ball would be the earth, and the lit globe would be the sun.
Only half the tennis ball would be illuminated. (I guess)

Could it be because at a given time, half of the Earth is exposed to solar radiation and the other half is not?

Well I think I have to agree.

There is, but the amount of high energy radiation coming from sources other than the Sun is tiny.

Rod Alexei said:
Only half the tennis ball would be illuminated. (I guess)

exactly :smile:
... so it doesn't matter if the Earth rotates on it's axis or not, only ~1/2 is illuminated

The important thing to note is that what the ionisation is doing to the ionosphere's different layers during the day
compared to the absence of that ionising effect at niteDave

1. Why is only half of the Earth's ionosphere being ionized by the Sun?

The ionosphere is the layer of the Earth's atmosphere that is ionized by solar radiation. However, the amount of ionization depends on various factors such as the strength and angle of the Sun's rays, the Earth's magnetic field, and the composition of the atmosphere. As a result, only half of the Earth's ionosphere is being ionized at any given time.

2. How does the Earth's magnetic field affect ionization of the ionosphere?

The Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in protecting the ionosphere from solar radiation. When the Sun's particles interact with the Earth's magnetic field, they are deflected and cannot reach the ionosphere. This results in only half of the ionosphere being ionized by the Sun.

3. Is the amount of ionization in the ionosphere consistent?

No, the amount of ionization in the ionosphere varies depending on the time of day, season, and solar activity. During the day, when the Sun is directly overhead, more of the ionosphere is being ionized. At night, when the Sun's rays are not reaching that part of the Earth, the ionosphere experiences less ionization. Additionally, during periods of high solar activity, more of the ionosphere is being ionized compared to periods of low solar activity.

4. What are the implications of only half of the ionosphere being ionized?

The ionosphere is important for radio communications, GPS systems, and other technologies that rely on radio waves. When only half of the ionosphere is being ionized, it can affect the transmission and reception of these signals. It can also impact the Earth's climate and weather patterns, as the ionosphere plays a role in the distribution of energy from the Sun.

5. Can human activities affect the ionization of the ionosphere?

Yes, human activities such as nuclear explosions and high-frequency radio transmissions can temporarily disrupt the ionization of the ionosphere. However, these disruptions are typically short-lived and do not significantly impact the overall ionization of the ionosphere by the Sun.