1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Only the best-physics(unit analysis) question

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    Only the best--physics(unit analysis) question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok, this is under the unit analysis section:

-----------> We can express the radius of the fireball (resulting from a bomb) R in terms of t, ρ and E as R= const2x E^(1/x)t^(-y/x)ρ^(−z/x).
    Verify the relationship between R and t (That is R is proportional to t^(–y/x)) by plotting log (R) vs log (t) using the information provided in the pictures.
    Fit the data of log (R) vs log (t) with a straight line. What is the slope of the
    fit? What does the slope mean? Can you see why we are plotting log (R) vs
    log (t) instead of R vs t?

--Basically, the pictures show the fireballs of a bomb with the diameter(m) at certain times(ms):

2. Relevant equations
    - Is it me, or is the question too vague? I am trying to understand what it's asking and how I should answer.

3. The attempt at a solution

In the previous question, I have found z= 1 y= -2 and x= 5 for the values in the R=.... equation.

However, I don't know what they mean by plotting the log and fitting the data. I have tried graphing log (x) and log (x^(2/5)) but it doens't seem correct.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2
    bump bump--help please!!!!!!
  4. Sep 2, 2007 #3
    please anyone???????
  5. Sep 2, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

The times correct, particularly the second time.

Normally when one has a function y = exp (kt), one can plot with semi-log, and the slope is the constant k.

if one has R = A tn, then ln R = ln A + n ln t
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?