Ontoness and Induced Maps on Fundamental Group.

In summary, the map g is not injective, but the fundamental group of the wedge product of a circle and a circular strip (circle cross an interval) is Z+Z.
Bacle
Hi, everyone:

Given a top space X, and a homeo. h: X--->X , we get an induced map

(by functoriality ) h_*: Pi_1(X)---> Pi_1(X) . We can also write

the map as a map g: Aut(X) --->Hom(Pi_1(X),Pi_1(X))

Is the map g always surjective.? . Almost definitely not injective, since

the Fund. Group functor is constant on homotopic maps, but I have no idea

how to tell if it is injective.

I have no idea. Anyone know.?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If f is a continuous map between topological spaces, then it induces a homomorphism f* of their fundamental groups. If f has a continuous inverse, then [tex](f^{-1})_*=(f_*)^{-1}[/tex]. (This is because star distributes over function composition.) From that you get that homeomorphisms of topological spaces induce isomorphisms of fundamental groups.

The OP is asking whether given any permutation of the fundamental group there is a self-homeomorphism of the space that induces this permutation.

Oops, I did totally misread that. I'd say the answer is no. The fundamental group of the wedge product of a circle and a circular strip (circle cross an interval) is Z+Z, but we can't send a generator of one to a generator of the other via a self-homeomorphism.

Good example!

The example works but I botched the homotopy: the group should be the free product [tex]\mathbb{Z}*\mathbb{Z}[/tex]...I had homology on the brain when I wrote that. But swapping generators is still an automorphism of the fundamental group that can't be induced by a self-homeomorphism of the space.

Thanks to both:

I think the answer is yes in this specific case: One just has to find images for
a generating set for Z(+)Z , which is finitely-generated ---3 matrices are enough.

And, re the mapping class group, thanks for the Rolfsen source. The idea is
nice:

Consider automorphisms h: T^2-->T^2 . By functoriality, we get a map

Pi_1(T^2)-->Pi_1(T^2) , or , in a more general way, we get a homomorphism :

f: Aut(T^2) --->Aut(Z(+)Z) ; a homeo. on the left and a homomorph. on the right.

Then we know Aut(Z(+)Z) ~ Gl(2,Z) .

So, ultimately, we have a homomorphism :

h: Aut(T^2)--->Gl(2,Z)

Since we "have proved" ontoness ( by finding images for the generating set),

we just mod out by the kernel , which is the set of maps that are isotopic to

the identity. I think that gives us the mapping class group for the torus.

What are your 3 generating matrices?

1. What is Ontoness and Induced Maps on Fundamental Group?

Ontoness refers to the property of a map or function to be "onto" or surjective, meaning that every element in the output has at least one corresponding element in the input. Induced maps on fundamental group refer to maps between topological spaces that induce homomorphisms on their respective fundamental groups.

2. How are Ontoness and Induced Maps on Fundamental Group related?

Induced maps on fundamental group are typically required to be onto or surjective in order to properly induce a homomorphism on the fundamental group. This ensures that every element in the output space has a corresponding element in the input space, allowing for a consistent mapping between fundamental groups.

3. Why are Ontoness and Induced Maps on Fundamental Group important?

Ontoness and induced maps on fundamental group are important concepts in algebraic topology, as they allow for the study of the fundamental group of a space through maps between different spaces. These concepts also play a crucial role in understanding the topology of spaces and their fundamental groups.

4. Can you provide an example of Ontoness and Induced Maps on Fundamental Group?

One example of this concept is the induced map on the fundamental group of a circle. If we have a continuous map from a circle to another topological space, the induced map on the fundamental group of the circle will be onto or surjective, as every loop on the circle must have a corresponding loop in the output space.

5. Are there any other properties or characteristics of Ontoness and Induced Maps on Fundamental Group?

In addition to being onto or surjective, induced maps on fundamental group must also preserve the group operation, meaning that the composition of two loops in the input space must correspond to the composition of their respective induced loops in the output space. This ensures that the induced map is a homomorphism between the fundamental groups of the two spaces.