1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are Projection Mappings considered Quotient Maps?

1. Apr 27, 2015 #1
    The book I am using for my Introduction to Topology course is Principles of Topology by Fred H. Croom.

Problem:
    Prove that if ##X=X_1\times X_2## is a product space, then the first coordinate projection is a quotient map.

What I understand:
    • Let ##X## be a finite product space and ## x=(x_1,x_2,...,x_n)## a point in ##X##. The function ##\pi_i:X\rightarrow X_i## defined by ##\pi_i(x)=x_i## is called the projection map on the ##i##th coordinate.
    • Let ##X## and ##Y## be two topological spaces and ##f:X→Y## a surjective map. The map ##f## is said to be a quotient map provided a subset ##U## of ##Y## is open in ##Y## if and only if ##f^{−1}(U)## is open in ##X##. Equivalently, subset ##U## of ##Y## closed in ##Y## if and only if ##f^{−1}(U)## closed in ##X##.
    Rough attempt:

To show ##\pi_1:X\rightarrow X_1## is a quotient map, I need to show that (1) ##\pi_1## is surjective, (2) ##\pi_1## is continuous, and (3) for some ##U_1\subset X_1, \pi_1^{-1}(U_1)## open in ##X \Rightarrow U_1## is open in ##X_1##.
    ##\pi_1## is clearly onto since ##\forall x\in X, \exists x_1\in X_1: \pi_1(x)=x_1.## Let ##O_1## be open subset of ##X_1##. Then ##\pi_1^{-1}(O_1)=\{x=(x_1,x_2)\in X:x_1\in O_1\}=O_1\times X_2##. Thus ##\pi_1^{-1}(O_1)## is open in ##X##. Thus ##\pi_1## is continuous. The third part is what I am not sure of. Since ##\pi_1## is surjective, we have ##\pi_1(\pi_1^{-1}(V_1))=V_1, \forall V_1\subset X_1##. Assume now that ##W=\pi_1^{-1}(O_1)## is an open subset of ##X##. My question is, how would I conclude that ##\pi_1(W)=O_1## is indeed open. Can I just assume or is there something I am missing? I'm sure I am missing something.

Out of curiosity, could I generalize this and say if ##X=\prod_1^nX_i## if a finite product space, then the first coordinate projection is a quotient map? How about the ##i##th coordinate projection? I want so say yes. I can easily prove that ##\pi_i:X\rightarrow X_i## is continuous using the same method I did for continuity above. Anywho, that's probably a different story for a different time.

Sorry for the long read. If I need to clarify on anything I presented, let me know. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to read this post. I greatly appreciate any assistance you may provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you can't just assume it. You want to think about the basis for the product topology. It's all sets of the form ##O_1 \times O_2## where ##O_1## and ##O_2## are open in ##X_1## and ##X_2## respectively. Can you use that to show that if ##W## is an open set in ##X_1 \times X_2## then if ##x \in W## then there is a basis set ##O_1 \times O_2## that contains ##x## and is also a subset of ##W##? That would do it, yes?

And sure, there is nothing special about the first coordinate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted