Are Projection Mappings considered Quotient Maps?

In summary: The same argument works for the ##i##th coordinate. In summary, the first coordinate projection from a product space ##X=X_1 \times X_2## to ##X_1## is a quotient map. This can be shown by proving that it is surjective, continuous, and that the preimage of an open set in ##X_1## is open in ##X##. This can be done using the basis for the product topology and can be generalized to the ##i##th coordinate projection.
Kevin_H
The book I am using for my Introduction to Topology course is Principles of Topology by Fred H. Croom.

Problem:
Prove that if ##X=X_1\times X_2## is a product space, then the first coordinate projection is a quotient map.

What I understand:
  • Let ##X## be a finite product space and ## x=(x_1,x_2,...,x_n)## a point in ##X##. The function ##\pi_i:X\rightarrow X_i## defined by ##\pi_i(x)=x_i## is called the projection map on the ##i##th coordinate.
  • Let ##X## and ##Y## be two topological spaces and ##f:X→Y## a surjective map. The map ##f## is said to be a quotient map provided a subset ##U## of ##Y## is open in ##Y## if and only if ##f^{−1}(U)## is open in ##X##. Equivalently, subset ##U## of ##Y## closed in ##Y## if and only if ##f^{−1}(U)## closed in ##X##.
Rough attempt:

To show ##\pi_1:X\rightarrow X_1## is a quotient map, I need to show that (1) ##\pi_1## is surjective, (2) ##\pi_1## is continuous, and (3) for some ##U_1\subset X_1, \pi_1^{-1}(U_1)## open in ##X \Rightarrow U_1## is open in ##X_1##.
##\pi_1## is clearly onto since ##\forall x\in X, \exists x_1\in X_1: \pi_1(x)=x_1.## Let ##O_1## be open subset of ##X_1##. Then ##\pi_1^{-1}(O_1)=\{x=(x_1,x_2)\in X:x_1\in O_1\}=O_1\times X_2##. Thus ##\pi_1^{-1}(O_1)## is open in ##X##. Thus ##\pi_1## is continuous. The third part is what I am not sure of. Since ##\pi_1## is surjective, we have ##\pi_1(\pi_1^{-1}(V_1))=V_1, \forall V_1\subset X_1##. Assume now that ##W=\pi_1^{-1}(O_1)## is an open subset of ##X##. My question is, how would I conclude that ##\pi_1(W)=O_1## is indeed open. Can I just assume or is there something I am missing? I'm sure I am missing something. Out of curiosity, could I generalize this and say if ##X=\prod_1^nX_i## if a finite product space, then the first coordinate projection is a quotient map? How about the ##i##th coordinate projection? I want so say yes. I can easily prove that ##\pi_i:X\rightarrow X_i## is continuous using the same method I did for continuity above. Anywho, that's probably a different story for a different time. Sorry for the long read. If I need to clarify on anything I presented, let me know. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to read this post. I greatly appreciate any assistance you may provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin_H said:
The book I am using for my Introduction to Topology course is Principles of Topology by Fred H. Croom.

Problem:
Prove that if ##X=X_1\times X_2## is a product space, then the first coordinate projection is a quotient map.

What I understand:
  • Let ##X## be a finite product space and ## x=(x_1,x_2,...,x_n)## a point in ##X##. The function ##\pi_i:X\rightarrow X_i## defined by ##\pi_i(x)=x_i## is called the projection map on the ##i##th coordinate.
  • Let ##X## and ##Y## be two topological spaces and ##f:X→Y## a surjective map. The map ##f## is said to be a quotient map provided a subset ##U## of ##Y## is open in ##Y## if and only if ##f^{−1}(U)## is open in ##X##. Equivalently, subset ##U## of ##Y## closed in ##Y## if and only if ##f^{−1}(U)## closed in ##X##.
Rough attempt:

To show ##\pi_1:X\rightarrow X_1## is a quotient map, I need to show that (1) ##\pi_1## is surjective, (2) ##\pi_1## is continuous, and (3) for some ##U_1\subset X_1, \pi_1^{-1}(U_1)## open in ##X \Rightarrow U_1## is open in ##X_1##.
##\pi_1## is clearly onto since ##\forall x\in X, \exists x_1\in X_1: \pi_1(x)=x_1.## Let ##O_1## be open subset of ##X_1##. Then ##\pi_1^{-1}(O_1)=\{x=(x_1,x_2)\in X:x_1\in O_1\}=O_1\times X_2##. Thus ##\pi_1^{-1}(O_1)## is open in ##X##. Thus ##\pi_1## is continuous. The third part is what I am not sure of. Since ##\pi_1## is surjective, we have ##\pi_1(\pi_1^{-1}(V_1))=V_1, \forall V_1\subset X_1##. Assume now that ##W=\pi_1^{-1}(O_1)## is an open subset of ##X##. My question is, how would I conclude that ##\pi_1(W)=O_1## is indeed open. Can I just assume or is there something I am missing? I'm sure I am missing something.Out of curiosity, could I generalize this and say if ##X=\prod_1^nX_i## if a finite product space, then the first coordinate projection is a quotient map? How about the ##i##th coordinate projection? I want so say yes. I can easily prove that ##\pi_i:X\rightarrow X_i## is continuous using the same method I did for continuity above. Anywho, that's probably a different story for a different time.Sorry for the long read. If I need to clarify on anything I presented, let me know. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to read this post. I greatly appreciate any assistance you may provide.

No, you can't just assume it. You want to think about the basis for the product topology. It's all sets of the form ##O_1 \times O_2## where ##O_1## and ##O_2## are open in ##X_1## and ##X_2## respectively. Can you use that to show that if ##W## is an open set in ##X_1 \times X_2## then if ##x \in W## then there is a basis set ##O_1 \times O_2## that contains ##x## and is also a subset of ##W##? That would do it, yes?

And sure, there is nothing special about the first coordinate.

1. What is a projection mapping?

A projection mapping is a technique used to display digital images or videos onto physical objects or surfaces. It involves using specialized software to align the images or videos with the contours and features of the object or surface, creating the illusion that the digital content is a natural part of the physical world.

2. How is a projection mapping different from a regular projection?

A projection mapping differs from a regular projection in that it takes into account the specific shape and features of the object or surface being projected onto. This allows for the projection to be more immersive and interactive, as it can appear to interact with the physical environment.

3. Are projection mappings considered quotient maps?

Yes, projection mappings can be considered quotient maps. This is because they map a larger, more complex space (the digital image or video) onto a smaller, simpler space (the physical object or surface).

4. What is the purpose of a quotient map in projection mapping?

The purpose of a quotient map in projection mapping is to create a seamless and realistic projection by accounting for the distortions and irregularities of the physical object or surface. It allows for the digital content to be accurately and precisely mapped onto the physical space, creating a more immersive experience for the viewer.

5. What are some common applications of projection mapping?

Projection mapping has a wide range of applications, including advertising, art installations, stage performances, and even architectural mapping. It is also commonly used in events and exhibitions to create interactive and engaging displays.