Op-Amp vs Precision Resistor: Which is Better for I-to-V Conversion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
riie
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

What is the difference of using an op-amp(transimpedance) vs a precision resistor to convert I-to-V?

I am trying to linearly amplify a 1nA-10nA AC current with frequency of 10khz and below to a AC voltage and be passed to other circuitry for further processing.

Thank you for the help, in advance.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you use a precision resistor, the voltage across it may affect the current that you are trying to measure. A transimpedance amplifier will, effectively, be present a low impedance load to your current source and not affect the current. Of course, using a low enough resistor and then measuring a very small voltage would be an alternative. . . . .