Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open and closed intervals and real numbers

1. Oct 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that:

Let S be a subset of the real numbers such that S is bounded above and below and
    if some x and y are in S with x not equal to y, then all numbers between x and y are in S.

then there exist unique numbers a and b in R with a<b such that S is one of the intervals (a,b), [a,b), (a,b], or [a,b].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume if x and y are elements of S with x not equal to y, then all numbers between x and y are in S and S is bounded above and below.

Thus there exists a M, N such that M is greater than or equal to the maximal element of S and N is smaller than the minimal element of S. Also all elements between x and y are inside (M,N).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi reb659! :smile:

i think i'd start by proving that there must be a greatest lower bound and a least upper bound, and then call them a and b, and carry on from there. :wink:

4. Oct 16, 2010 #3
    Good idea.

Isn't it an axiom that if a nonempty subset of R has an upper bound, then it has a least upper bound/sup(S)?

5. Oct 16, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think it's an axiom, I think it's the Dedekind-completeness theorem:

A bounded real-valued function has a least upper bound and a greatest lower bound.

(See Rolle's theorem in the PF Library :wink:)

6. Oct 17, 2010 #5
    So far:

Since S is bounded above and below, by Dedekind completeness there exists a supremum of S. Call it b. Again by dedekind completeness we can say there exists an infimum of S. Call it b. By definition of sup and inf, a<b. We are left to show a,b are unique and that S is exactly one of the intervals in the OP.

To show this, can't we consider four simple different cases in which a,b are either in S or outside of it?

7. Oct 18, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup, that's the proof! :smile:

8. Oct 19, 2010 #7
    Yay!

How exactly does uniqueness follow though? It seems like its trivial to prove.

9. Oct 19, 2010 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

as you said, "by Dedekind completeness there exists a supremum of S" …

there can't be two supremums, can there? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?