Open Questions about Neutrinos Today

• I
  • Thread starter john baez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrinos
  • Featured
In summary: Is there a massless mass eigenstate?In summary, there are many open questions about neutrinos. Scientists are still trying to figure out the correct theory of neutrinos, why they are almost but not quite massless, and if there are any right-handed neutrinos. There are also questions about sterile neutrinos, the weak force, and the electromagnetic force.
Vanadium 50 said:
First, it is absolutely not true that neutrinos only interact with matter in flavor eigenstates. There are neutral current events: ν + X → ν + X.

Second, the term "flavor eigenstate" is confusing people. It may be helpful to think "flavor projection of the mass eigenstate" instead.

If you had mass resolution that was good enough, the decay [itex]X \rightarrow Y + e^+ + \nu_1[/itex] would occur with twice the rate as [itex]X \rightarrow Y + e^+ + \nu_2[/itex] (I am going to use positron emission as an example so I don't have a zillion overlines to include.)

If I had a beam of pure [itex]\nu_1[/itex], it would have twice the reaction cross-section on a target of Y as [itex]\nu_2[/itex]. (The inverse process)

If I get a beam of neutrinos from X decay and use them to induce the inverse process on a target of Y, the rate is 5/9 in appropriate units.

Now, if I cannot tell whether I have a [itex]\nu_1[/itex] or [itex]\nu_2[/itex] in flight, the two states interfere (which some people call "oscillate") and the strength varies (with L/E) between 1 and 1/9.
Sure, there are also the neutral-current reactions. The point is that it's with neutrinos as with any other (von Neumann) measurements in QT. You get some result of the measured quantities with probabilities given by Born's rule using the state the measured object is prepared in.

The phenomenon is called "oscillations" because all kinds of similar cases are called "oscillations" (e.g., Rabi oscillations). Of course, everything is described by Hilbert space vectors and operators as for any quantum system.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was wondering however, if the three "real" neutrinos (those that are propagated) have different masses, wouldn't they travel at different speeds? Wouldn't that disintegrate the flavour neutrinos (as e.g. the neutrinos of lower mass would arrive first and will be followed by the higher mass neutrinos)? Or is that another reason why we observe the "oscillation"?

That's why we observe the oscillation. The flavor eigenstates are superpositions of the mass eigenstates. Only the mass eigenstates have a well determined interpretation as particles with the usual "on-shell condition" for energy and momentum, and as such a well-determined velocity ##\vec{v}=c \vec{p}/\sqrt{m^2 c^2+\vec{p}^2}##.

Likes ohwilleke
so for example in a Supernova, you'd probably have the creation of many electron neutrinos [itex]\nu_e[/itex] (OK basically it'd be antineutrinos but nevermind)... however from those neutrinos, the mass eigenstates, [itex]\nu_i[/itex], would propagate in space and be detected on Earth.
Wouldn't that give us an indication about the mass hierarchy of the mass eigenstates? As for example the mixture of [itex]\nu_1[/itex] would be observed a few minutes prior to that of [itex]\nu_3[/itex] (or vice versa) because it is lighter and travels faster? Or the problem is that we don't observe that many neutrinos from such sources to be able and make such a distinction?

ChrisVer said:
you'd probably have the creation of many electron neutrinos (OK basically it'd be antineutrinos but nevermind)

No, they are mostly neutrinos. In SN1987A we saw antineutrinos because all we had were antineutrino detectors operating.

ChrisVer said:
As for example the mixture of would be observed a few minutes prior to that of (or vice versa) because it is lighter and travels faster?

Minutes? Have to be pretty heavy to get minutes. You should work out how heavy neutrinos need to be to get a change of minutes.

The idea is correct, but the numbers don't work out. SN1987A gave a limit of 12 eV. That's at least 100x higher than the actual masses (and much higher than the mass differences).

Likes vanhees71
A fun problem- if you want to constrain neutrino masses with supernovae, do you want one close by? Or far away? Or is there an optimal distance?

Vanadium 50 said:
A fun problem- if you want to constrain neutrino masses with supernovae, do you want one close by? Or far away? Or is there an optimal distance?
Well yes. Would be fun to take a couple of minutes and try to figure out at which distance of a SN the time difference would be ~X (=60?) seconds for neutrinos in the range of [itex]\Delta m^2 \approx 0.0025\text{ eV}^2[/itex] or so. However with the distance the flux would also drop, I'm not sure if that would be an issue.

ChrisVer said:
However with the distance the flux would also drop, I'm not sure if that would be an issue.
How could it not be an issue? If you have a 1% chance to detect any neutrino you are clearly too far away.

The separation should ideally be longer than the neutrino pulse at emission. We know how long that was for SN1987A.

mfb said:
How could it not be an issue?

Well maybe you are right. I spoke like that because, out of my head, I don't have a "feeling" about the magnitudes, with the cross-section dropping as [itex]r^{-2}[/itex] and the actual number of neutrinos that are produced in an SN explosion. If you had told me to take the solid angle surface area into account, I'd have predicted that we couldn't detect neutrinos from a few 100,000's ly afar (and yet we did with SN1987A).
Of course then increasing the distance 10-fold, would decrease the flux by a 100... At the same time it would only increase the time available for separation between the 1-2-3 neutrinos (or the sensitivity to the masses compared to the SN1987A) by only 1 order of magnitude.

Last edited:
It's expected that the Milky Way has ~2 supernovae per century. With ~100 billion similar galaxies in the observable universe that's ~100 supernovae per second, give or take three orders of magnitude. Clearly we don't measure that many.

Likes exponent137 and vanhees71
ChrisVer said:
t the same time it would only increase the time available for separation between the 1-2-3 neutrinos (or the sensitivity to the masses compared to the SN1987A) by only 1 order of magnitude.

That's the right way to think about the problem. Your measurement improves as 1/r. In your example, you are 100x as sensitive to time differences, but your signal is 10x smaller, so you get a factror of 10. So that means you want to go as close as you can.

@mfb points out the next factor that needs to be considered: the difference in time-of-flight needs to be longer than the emission time for you to measure it it. And that means you want to go as far as you can.

Since you have two effects in opposite directions, there is an optimal distance you can calculate. I have not done this.

For antineutrinos, we're already at the best we can do with 1987A. The pulse length is comparable to the emission time, so you need to go out farther. But we can barely see the signal now, so you can't.

Neutrinos have a much shorter emission time.

Likes vanhees71 and ohwilleke
Vanadium 50 said:

The Sun is definitely too close for comfort. A nice healthy distance would be preferable.

Distance also puts more gap between the neutrino and photon signals allowing for better resolution of any speed differences (with the problem that you don't know how far spaced the original signals are from each other).

But, you need a distance close enough to get a resolvable two messenger signal.

Likes vanhees71
A new important measurement about the neutrino mass bound with KATRIN:

We have been waiting for this since Sep. 2019 https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.06048
Or when we first hear this old result?

##m^2## of the old result was

1618735289686.png

And the upper bound was ##1.1## eV.
Now ##m^2## is positive.

Last edited:
exponent137 said:
A new important measurement about neutrino mass bound with KATRIN:

We have been waiting for this since sep. 2019 https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.06048

View attachment 281719

Now it is positive. And the upper bound was ##1.1## eV.

What does a negative mass-squared value mean as a "best-fit" result (which is unphysical as they also claim in the same paper for the upper limit calculation)?

Measure the length of a stick, then measure the same length of the stick plus a sheet of paper and subtract. It's quite possible that the difference is negative, but it should be consistent with the positive sheet of paper within uncertainties.

They subtract two very large similar values from each other, the transition energy and the highest observed electron energies. It's a bit more complicated because they are also sensitive to the shape of the spectrum and the fit works with the squared mass, but the overall concept is the same.

Likes ohwilleke, exponent137 and vanhees71
I'm not sure I would consider KATRIN "new and important". The limit has moved down from 1.1 eV to 0.9 eV, or about 20%. But it's still an order of magnitude below the cosmological limit - that's that the sum of the neutrino masses is below 0.26 eV. (Which means a 0.09 eV upper limit on any of them)

Likes vanhees71 and Greg Bernhardt
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not sure I would consider KATRIN "new and important". The limit has moved down from 1.1 eV to 0.9 eV, or about 20%. But it's still an order of magnitude below the cosmological limit - that's that the sum of the neutrino masses is below 0.26 eV. (Which means a 0.09 eV upper limit on any of them)
I admit that the analyses of DESI, EUCLID, and of other cosmological measurements will be really important because they will give the lower bound of the neutrino masses. (The results of DESI will even happen in 5 years.) Project 8 and Holmes will give better results than KATRIN, and conditionally some beta decays will give the mass of the neutrino.

But, when we wait, KATRIN will give an independent confirmation and every few percents are important. This measurement is from the first principle, where cosmological measurements have some additional unknown parameters.

I read that the cosmological upper bound for the sum of neutrino masses is 0.12 eV. So, do you think that 0.26 eV is a more conservative bound?

Vanadium 50 said:
The credible cosmology based limits are as low as 110 meV (i.e. 0.11 eV) for the sum of the three masses, and assuming that the differences between the three neutrino masses from oscillation data are correct to within their margins of error, absolute neutrino mass boundaries can be quite tightly bounded, with the best fit value being less than that.

The difference between the first and second neutrino mass eigenstate is roughly 8.66 +/- 0.12 meV, and the difference between the second and third neutrino mass eigenstate is roughly 49.5 +/- 0.5 meV, See, e.g., the Particle Data Group global averages.

This implies that the sum of the three neutrino mass eigenstates cannot be less than about 65.34 meV with 95% confidence, in addition to being not more than 110 meV.

Assuming the 0.11 eV sum of neutrino mass constraints, the neutrino mass differences from oscillation data, and a normal hierarchy (which almost all observational data favors, although not necessarily decisively), implies the following bounds on absolute neutrino mass, most of the uncertainty in which is driven by the uncertainty in the lightest neutrino mass which is shared in all three absolute mass estimates:

v1: 0 meV to 12 meV
v2: 8.42 meV to 21.9 meV
v3: 56.92 meV to 72.4 meV

By comparison, Katrin bounds v1 to less than 900 meV, which is 75 times the bound derived from cosmology and neutrino oscillations and an assumption of a normal mass hierarchy.

In an inverted hierarchy of neutrino masses, the minimum sum of the three neutrino masses given current neutrino oscillation data is around 98 +/- 1 meV (which leaves only about 4 meV of shared uncertainty in each of the three neutrino masses if indeed the sum of the three is not more than 110 meV), which is again, still far less than Katrin bound.

Last edited:
Mixing only gives you differences between squared masses (excluding smaller effects they are not sensitive to yet). If you take the square root of these you get a maximal mass difference, not a mass difference. Mixing alone doesn't set relevant upper limits on the neutrino masses.
The 0.11 eV cosmological constraint is not without criticism, direct measurements are useful for verification.

At the end of this article, I saw two additional future projects of the sky surveys, CSST and PFS, beside of DESI, EUCLID, and SDSS-V.
https://phys.org/news/2021-04-scientists-dark-energy.html
Are there any other future surveys in progress?

I suppose that all of these surveys give also the upper bound of the neutrino masses? And, it is predicted, that they will give also the lower bound.

The most probably disagreement of two sorts of measurements of the Hubble constant does not influence the neutrino masses?

Last edited:
exponent137 said:

exponent137 said:
We have been waiting for this since Sep. 2019 https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.06048

View attachment 281719
And the upper bound was ##1.1## eV.
Now ##m^2## is positive.
A combination of the Runs 1 and 2 is additionally a little better, the upper bound is 0.8 eV.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/neutrino-max-possible-mass-tiny-new-estimate-particle-physics

Some interesting headings of presentations are here. Can someone view them?
http://meetings.aps.org/Meeting/APR21/Session/Q14

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke
ohwilleke said:
By comparison, Katrin bounds v1 to less than 900 meV, which is 75 times the bound derived from cosmology and neutrino oscillations and an assumption of a normal mass hierarchy.

In an inverted hierarchy of neutrino masses, the minimum sum of the three neutrino masses given current neutrino oscillation data is around 98 +/- 1 meV (which leaves only about 4 meV of shared uncertainty in each of the three neutrino masses if indeed the sum of the three is not more than 110 meV), which is again, still far less than Katrin bound.
I am adding here another aspect: The goal of KATRIN is "<200 meV". This new result "<800 meV" gives a promise that this goal will be achieved. But this wished bound will be so 17 times the bound derived from cosmology, what will not be too big, and what will help to confirm the results from cosmology.According to posts #52 and #55, I am adding here the projects WFIRST and LSST as another two future cosmological projects for neutrino masses. And the following analysis will help at all of them:
https://phys.org/news/2021-05-supernovae-twins-possibilities-precision-cosmology.html

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke
exponent137 said:
And here is the KATRIN preprint of "<800 (900) meV":
https://arxiv.org/abs/2105.08533

Besides, the main phase of DESI is beginning.
https://newscenter.lbl.gov/2021/05/17/start-of-dark-energy-survey/
Maybe it will be the first one that will give the lower bound of the neutrino masses.
Thanks for the links. Mixing gives a pretty meaningful low bound on the sum of the neutrino masses, but a lower bound on the lightest neutrino mass, or even a confirmation that it was non-zero, would be serious progress.

ohwilleke said:
Thanks for the links. Mixing gives a pretty meaningful low bound on the sum of the neutrino masses, but a lower bound on the lightest neutrino mass, or even a confirmation that it was non-zero, would be serious progress.
Yes, I was not precise enough, they try to measure the sum of masses of the three neutrinos, now they measured only their upper bound.
https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.09395
It will not be perfect, but it will be the next level.

Likes ohwilleke
If the neutrino masses follow the patterns of quarks or charged leptons then upper bounds will improve until it's clear that we have one "heavy" state and two light states - maybe in parallel with establishing the mass ordering from mixing, so we have two independent measurements of that. But measuring the mass of the lightest state won't work with current or near-future experiments.

Likes ohwilleke and vanhees71
mfb said:
If the neutrino masses follow the patterns of quarks or charged leptons then upper bounds will improve until it's clear that we have one "heavy" state and two light states

If that's the case, the heaviest neutrino weighs 0.050 eV. In that case, we get the mass ordering from mixing long, long before we see the 0.050 eV directly.

Likes ohwilleke
Do you have projections for how the cosmology constraints are expected to improve (assuming normal ordering) in the next years?
Mixing is clearly the more robust approach here, there I have seen projections and it shouldn't be that far away now. But an independent cross check would still be great.

Likes ohwilleke
mfb said:
Do you have projections for how the cosmology constraints are expected to improve (assuming normal ordering) in the next years?
No. When I ask my colleagues, they say "much better", in the same tone as "top men" in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

• Haha
Likes ohwilleke and Ibix
mfb said:
Does this help at this dilemma:

Likes ohwilleke
Another fresh result for the sum of neutrino masses is "<0.13 eV".
It agrees with the above-mentioned values "<0.11 eV" and "<0.12 eV".
Probably before 2026 there will be no big improvements.

Likes ohwilleke
exponent137 said:
Does this help at this dilemma:
Upcoming data from the CMB Stage-4 (CMB-S4) experiment, as well as the Dark Energy Spectroscopic Instrument (DESI) and Euclid galaxy surveys, will reduce these error bars dramatically, and it is expected that these experiments will measure the sum of neutrino masses at least at the 3σ level
Sounds promising.
A 3 sigma measurement with a central value of ~0.06 eV would also rule out inverted ordering with ~3 sigma (very roughly).

Likes ohwilleke
exponent137 said:
exponent137 said:

A combination of the Runs 1 and 2 is additionally a little better, the upper bound is 0.8 eV.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/neutrino-max-possible-mass-tiny-new-estimate-particle-physics

Some interesting headings of presentations are here. Can someone view them?
http://meetings.aps.org/Meeting/APR21/Session/Q14

Can anyone explain to me what is the difference now:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41567-021-01463-1
The upper bound is the same, 800meV. Is data upgraded in any way, or this is the same data but officially published?

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke
exponent137 said:
Can anyone explain to me what is the difference now:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41567-021-01463-1
The upper bound is the same, 800meV. Is data upgraded in any way, or this is the same data but officially published?
I think this is just the published version of the results previously released as preprints and conference presentations.

Likes vanhees71 and exponent137
ChrisVer said:
Interesting... Does that appear by squaring the sum with the PMNS coefficients?
I would like to see a way to describe chirality to a layman without making them scratch their heads, given that it's a very mathematical construct (in contrast to helicity).
Wouldn't it be enough to ask questions about them in terms of participating in interactions (for example with the [itex]W^\pm[/itex]-bosons)? E.g. we know that (anti)neutrinos don't interact with [itex]W^{-(+)}[/itex] (results from not having a right-handed singlet representation, as for example quarks do).
This a confusing point for me. If neutrinos have mass, can they have chirality? And another point... Right handed neutrinos "don't exist" because they don't interact in EW theory. At least that is my understanding.