Heavy sterile neutrino decay into Z bosons. (Feynman Diagram)

In summary, the decay amplitude for a Heavy sterile neutrino is calculated using the Feynman rules. The vertex is calculated using the standard weak vertex factor, but the \epsilon^{*\mu} vector is also included for the outgoing Z-boson.
HypnoFunk
Hello there,

I am looking at the decays of Heavy sterile neutrinos in the their mass states to Z bosons.

Using the feynman rules, how would I go about calculating the decay amplitude. I have only ever seen cases where the Z boson is a propagator. Would my expression look something like this:

[itex]
M = \kappa\frac{g}{2\cos\theta_{W}}\overline{\nu_{1}}(2)\gamma^{\mu}P_{L}N_{m}(1)\epsilon_{\mu}^{*}(3)
[/itex]

where [itex]\kappa[/itex] is some constant. Essentially the Feynman diagram looks like a standard weak vertex between two neutrinos. The only difference is that one of them is Heavy (GeV-TeV) scale. However my question really is about whether I just take the standard vertex and include the [itex]\epsilon^{*\mu}[/itex] vector for the outgoing Z-boson.

The standard vertex factor reads
[itex]
-i\frac{g}{2\cos\theta_{W}}\kappa\gamma^{\mu}P_{L}
[/itex]

Is it enough for me to just add [itex]\epsilon^{\mu *}[/itex] for the outgoing Z boson?

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think the part of z (ϵμ∗ )boson is correct but there is a problem in vertex. Because sterile neutrino does not interact in weak interaction so it will not couple to z boson. so you need to do something different here. You can check Mahapotro's " Massive neutrinos in physics and astrophysics " . check out the chapter on Left right symmetric model. there check sections like FCNC and heavy neutrino decay. I think you can find your answer there. So check if possible.

I think that's right - if it's sterile, the vertex is 0, right?

More realistically, you will have to have to define your couplings and decide how sterile is sterile.

Vanadium, in my experience, sterile neutrino models (well, interesting ones at least) generally have small mixings between the sterile and active neutrinos. I think that's what Hypnofunk's [itex]\kappa[/itex] is intended to quantify.

1. What is a sterile neutrino?

A sterile neutrino is a hypothetical type of neutrino that does not interact with the weak nuclear force, unlike the three known types of neutrinos (electron, muon, and tau). It is called "sterile" because it does not participate in the weak interactions that are essential for the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How does a heavy sterile neutrino decay into Z bosons?

In the Standard Model, a heavy sterile neutrino can decay into a Z boson and a regular neutrino. This process is represented by a Feynman diagram, which shows the interaction between particles. In this case, the sterile neutrino (represented by a dashed line) decays into a Z boson (represented by a wavy line) and a regular neutrino (represented by a solid line).

3. What is the significance of heavy sterile neutrino decay into Z bosons?

This process is important because it could provide evidence for the existence of sterile neutrinos, which would have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental particles and forces of the universe. It could also help explain certain phenomena, such as the origin of dark matter.

4. Can heavy sterile neutrino decay into other particles besides Z bosons?

Yes, in some models, heavy sterile neutrinos can also decay into other particles, such as Higgs bosons or charged leptons. However, the decay into Z bosons is particularly interesting because it is predicted by the Standard Model and could be experimentally observed.

5. Have there been any experiments to test the decay of heavy sterile neutrinos into Z bosons?

Yes, there have been several experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, that have searched for evidence of heavy sterile neutrinos decaying into Z bosons. However, so far, no conclusive evidence has been found. Further research and experiments are needed to confirm the existence of sterile neutrinos and their decay into Z bosons.