Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open Source Mathematica/Derive like program

1. Jan 4, 2007 #1
    Hi, can anyone recommend me an open source or at least a free program similar to Derive or Mathematica? I did some searching on the web but didn't found anything useful. I would like a program in which I can enter

Integal[{x^2},x]; and then have the output of x^3/3

preferably something easy to use like Derive. Any pointers are welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please use the search function -- we've answered this question over and over and over again. Look into Maxima.

- Warren

4. Jan 5, 2007 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Check out this thread on www.mathlinks.ro .

5. Jan 5, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I doubt that you will find much. A program like Mathematica and Derive require one heck of a lot of work, typically by a large crew of programmers. I doubt they are going to do all that work for free.

6. Jan 5, 2007 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eh? Are you unaware of programs like Maxima and Octave? They are extremely good free replacements for the commercial packages Mathematica and MATLAB.

- Warren

7. Jan 6, 2007 #6

uart

Science Advisor

To see how this software that clearly does require "one heck of a lot of work" to develop can become GPL freeware take look at the brief but interesting wikipedia article
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxima

8. Jan 7, 2007 #7
    Thank you very much for your replies.

Maxima rocks. I like it very much (commands and such, very intuitive) and the help system is excellent. For now it covers everything I need but there was one thing I couldn't find in maximas help.

I wanted to get the first pair of numbers (x,y) that are the solution to the following Diophantine equation 222x+255y=9 where y is the smallest possible positive intiger for the pair (x,y) to be the solution to the equation.

9. Jan 8, 2007 #8

uart

Science Advisor

I don't know how to do that in Maxima, maybe someone else can help there, but that particular equation is very easy to solve by inspection. Soln : x=-3, y=3

10. Jan 8, 2007 #9
    I think that the pair (-8,7) that is x = -8, y = 7 is the first pair of solutions for which y is the smallest positive number. But anyway, thats a bit exotic problem to work on maxima.

11. Jan 8, 2007 #10

uart

Science Advisor

Doh, I misread the equation as 252x+255y=9.

I need to start wearing my glasses more often. :eek:

12. Jan 9, 2007 #11
    Yeah, I hate the most when I do something like that on an exam, I am still angry for a week or two after the exam, since I have lost points not because of my inabilities to solve a problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?