1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operator that interchanges variables

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I suppose that this is not directly a quantum mechanical problem, but this have been assigned as homework for the Quantum Mechanics course.

Let be an operator L and eigenvalue equation [tex]Lf=\lambda f[/tex]. This operator, applied to a function [tex]f(x,y)[/tex], interchanges the variables i.e. [tex]Lf(x,y)=f(y,x)[/tex]. What's the general property of the eigenfunctions of this problem? Get the possible eigenvalues.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well. I think that if [tex]Lf(x,y)=f(y,x)[/tex] then if [tex]f[/tex] is an eigenfunction, obviously, [tex]\lambda f(x,y)=f(y,x)[/tex]. One possible kind of [tex]f[/tex] that fills conditions is one that is symmetric, that is [tex]f(x,y)=f(y,x)[/tex] then [tex]\lambda[/tex] for this kind of eigenfunctions will be [tex]\lambda=1[/tex]. Others are the antisymmetric ones, those for is true [tex]f(y,x)=-f(x,y)[/tex] and then the eigenvalue for this kind is [tex]\lambda=-1[/tex]

But I'm sure that there are more conditions that generate other kinds of eigenfunctions, not only symmetric nor antisymmetric. My question is: there are more or the antisymmetric and symmetric ones are the only ones, and if there are more how I get them and their eigenvalues?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If [itex]f(y,x)=\lambda f(x,y)[/itex] is to be true for all [itex](x,y)[/itex], then surely it must be true for [itex]x=y[/itex]....what does that tell you?:wink:

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    it tells me [tex]\lambda=1[/tex]?

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Here's another hint: what happens if you act on f with L twice? What does that tell you about [itex]\lambda^2[/itex]?

6. Sep 3, 2009 #5

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Or that f(x,x)=0.

7. Sep 3, 2009 #6
    Or that operator [tex]L[/tex] is an involution, that's, it's its own inverse.

8. Sep 3, 2009 #7
    and then [tex]\lambda=\pm 1[/tex] necessarily and takes all values only if [tex]f\equiv 0[/tex]. In fact zero function is symmetric and antisymmetric function at the same time.

9. Sep 3, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

f(x,y)=0 is a trivial solution, and not really an eigenfunction...so it should be discarded.

That leaves you with [itex]\lambda=1[/itex] and symmetric eigenfunctions, or [itex]\lambda=-1[/itex] and antisymmetric eigenfunctions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook