Operators used without being explained

• A
  • Thread starter Technon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary: However, if we interpret a matrix as defining a linear transformation on a vector space, then the connection becomes clear. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the term "operator" in the context of quantum physics and how it is not explained in some course materials. The concept of operators as linear functions and their connection to matrices is also mentioned. It is noted that operators are used to represent transformations on vector spaces in quantum mechanics.
Technon
I started watching the video lecture series here: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2016/video-lectures/part-1/ I notice that they use the term "operator" without first explaining it. Operators are also not explained (in fact they are not even mentioned) in my course litterature (Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 6th Edition by Paul A. Tipler (Author), Gene Mosca).

Since operators are not explained, it seems one is supposed to understand the subject without knowledge about them? Is it possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Technon said:
I started watching the video lecture series here: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2016/video-lectures/part-1/ I notice that they use the term "operator" without first explaining it. Operators are also not explained (in fact they are not even mentioned) in my course litterature (Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 6th Edition by Paul A. Tipler (Author), Gene Mosca).

Since operators are not explained, it seems one is supposed to understand the subject without knowledge about them? Is it possible?
Lecture Notes: first document, first page (after introduction)!

So operators are just functions

Technon said:
Yes, and usually linear functions. That is they apply to vector spaces. One (normally) says operator instead of transformation, if this vector space itself consists of functions, e.g. smooth functions, or continuous functions, or as in QM square integrable functions. E.g. if we consider ##V=C^\infty (\mathbb{R})## the vector space of all smooth functions in one real variable, then ##D=\dfrac{d}{dx}\, : \,f \longmapsto f\,' ## is such a (linear) operator, the differential operator.

Have a read: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/tell-operations-operators-functionals-representations-apart/

Likes dextercioby
Technon said:

fresh_42 said:
Yes, and usually linear functions.

With an appropriate interpretation of the term "functions", yes. An operator on a vector space is a mapping of the vector space into itself, i.e., it maps every vector in the vector space into another vector in the vector space (which might, in some cases, be the same vector).

I say this because operators in QM, which are always linear, are often represented by matrices, and most people don't intuitively thing of matrices and functions as being the same thing.

1. What are operators?

Operators are symbols or words used to perform specific operations or calculations on variables or values. They are commonly used in programming languages to manipulate data.

2. How are operators used in coding?

Operators are used in coding to perform mathematical calculations, assign values to variables, compare values, and perform logical operations. They are an essential part of writing code and allow programmers to create complex algorithms and solve problems.

3. What is the difference between unary and binary operators?

Unary operators work on a single operand, while binary operators work on two operands. Unary operators include increment and decrement operators, while binary operators include arithmetic, comparison, and logical operators.

4. Can operators be used without being explained?

In most cases, operators cannot be used without being explained. Programmers must understand the functionality and purpose of an operator before using it in their code. However, some programming languages may have predefined operators that do not require explanation.

5. How can I learn more about operators?

To learn more about operators, you can refer to language-specific documentation, online tutorials, and coding forums. Practice coding with different operators and experiment with their functionality to gain a better understanding of how they work.