Opportunities in Specific Areas of ME and EE

In summary, the individual currently has a degree in Microbiology and is considering pursuing a degree in either mechanical or electrical engineering. They are interested in specific areas in each field and would like to know the job outlook for those areas. They also mention the possibility of pursuing a Masters in Biomedical engineering. They are seeking information on job outlook and career opportunities for these areas and are considering joining professional engineering societies for more information.
benw315
Hi,
I currently have a degree in Microbiology and am considering going back to school this fall for either mechanical or electrical engineering. I am interested in aspects of both so I was wondering about the job outlook/chance of employment in a few specific areas of each. These areas are of the greatest interest for me in the respective fields:
ME
biomechanics, nanotechnology, aerospace and automotive engineering.
EE
telecommunications field, as well as signal processing, working with GPS and navigation systems

Another route I could take would be a Masters in Biomedical engineering once I complete an undergrad (can do with both EE or ME), but we will see.

Could you please inform me of the job outlook for the certain highlighted areas or if they are virtually impossible to get in to? I am very intelligent, but being realistic. If several areas of one are impossible to get into I will go for the other degree. Thank you in advance for your help.

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
One should look at the professional engineering societies in the fields of interest.

American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) - www.asme.org
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - www.ieee.org
Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE International) - www.sae.org

Each has various specialized divisions or technical groups from which to choose a specialty, and they have sections about jobs and careers. Many universities have student chapters associated with these societies, and many faculty are members.

Excellent. Thank you for those links. I found the BLS website but haven't found the ones you linked to.

1. What are the job prospects for mechanical and electrical engineers?

In general, the job market for mechanical and electrical engineers is strong and continues to grow. These fields offer a wide range of opportunities in industries such as manufacturing, energy, healthcare, and transportation. With the advancement of technology, there is a high demand for skilled engineers in both mechanical and electrical specialties.

2. What specific areas of ME and EE offer the most opportunities?

Some of the most in-demand areas in mechanical engineering include design and development, project management, and manufacturing. For electrical engineering, subfields such as power systems, telecommunications, and automation are seeing significant growth. Additionally, emerging areas such as renewable energy and robotics offer exciting opportunities for both ME and EE professionals.

3. How do internships or co-ops help in securing job opportunities in ME and EE?

Internships and co-ops are valuable experiences for students pursuing careers in ME and EE. These opportunities allow students to gain hands-on experience, develop technical skills, and build a professional network. Many companies also use internships and co-ops as a way to identify potential full-time employees, making them a great way to secure job opportunities after graduation.

4. What skills are essential for success in ME and EE careers?

A strong foundation in math and physics is crucial for success in ME and EE fields. Additionally, problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail are essential skills for engineers. Communication and teamwork skills are also highly valued in these industries, as engineers often work in multidisciplinary teams to solve complex problems.

5. What further education or certifications can enhance job opportunities in ME and EE?

Advanced degrees, such as a Master's or Ph.D., can open up higher-level positions and increase earning potential in ME and EE fields. Certifications, such as the Professional Engineer (PE) license, can also enhance job prospects and demonstrate expertise in a specific area. Continuing education and staying updated on industry advancements can also help engineers remain competitive in the job market.