1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opportunities in Specific Areas of ME and EE

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I currently have a degree in Microbiology and am considering going back to school this fall for either mechanical or electrical engineering. I am interested in aspects of both so I was wondering about the job outlook/chance of employment in a few specific areas of each. These areas are of the greatest interest for me in the respective fields:
    ME
    biomechanics, nanotechnology, aerospace and automotive engineering.
    EE
    telecommunications field, as well as signal processing, working with GPS and navigation systems

Another route I could take would be a Masters in Biomedical engineering once I complete an undergrad (can do with both EE or ME), but we will see.

Could you please inform me of the job outlook for the certain highlighted areas or if they are virtually impossible to get in to? I am very intelligent, but being realistic. If several areas of one are impossible to get in to I will go for the other degree. Thank you in advance for your help.

Ben

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One should look at the professional engineering societies in the fields of interest.

American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) - www.asme.org
    Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - www.ieee.org
    Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE International) - www.sae.org

Each has various specialized divisions or technical groups from which to choose a specialty, and they have sections about jobs and careers. Many universities have student chapters associated with these societies, and many faculty are members.

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    Excellent. Thank you for those links. I found the BLS website but haven't found the ones you linked to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook