1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opportunity of physics scholarships

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1
    I've been reading ZapperZ's article on being a physicist, and I visited the society of physics students website. The first thing I noticed was that being a member gave you the opportunity of scholarships. A question occurred to me.

Does anyone else know of any organizations that could provide scholarships to physics majors or closely related majors, such as math/engineering? Or just scholarships in general that I or others could use?

Show me the MONEY!!!

Sry, Jerry Maguire reference ;)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It does?!

The AIP doesn't provide "scholarship". Where did you get this from?

Zz.

4. Mar 4, 2014 #3
  5. Mar 4, 2014 #4

MarneMath

Education Advisor

There's tons. First, check with your school to see if they have a scholarship office. They should be able to narrow the search. Secondly check websites like fastweb. Thirdly, look for DoD scholarships/internships. Lastly, many major companies offer scholarships and internships for prospective students.

Broad advice, but it's also nearly impossible to list everything that may be out there.

6. Mar 4, 2014 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Er... note that these are really a one-time award. It will not pay for your education, but merely a one-time prize.

Zz.

7. Mar 4, 2014 #6
    Of course, I never meant to imply that they were full on free-ride scholarships. However, I must correct you on one point. All of those scholarships except the leadership scholarship explicitly mention that they can used every year. The exception with the leadership is that you must be a least a junior to apply, so that would limit it to two years.

I probably should've not mentioned these, as I might get more competition from fellow physics majors for them, but it would be unethical not to share it.

Unfortunately, these scholarship applications ended this February, but you can apply for next year when it comes. Good luck to anyone who applies!

8. Mar 4, 2014 #7
    Also for any interested math/physics/engineering majors who live in Virgina, there's this scholarship from the NASA Virginia Space Grant Consortium:
    http://vsgc.odu.edu/sf/undergrad/

It's due March 17.

9. Mar 4, 2014 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Before you are too quick to "correct" people who are giving you good advice, you might want to see how often someone wins a scholarship multiple times.

10. Mar 4, 2014 #9
    Jesus, I'm not being rude, I'm just trying to clarify the facts. ZapperZ didn't hesitate to point when I might be incorrect, and I wasn't offended.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook