Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical (laser/maser) cooling of fusion products.

1. Jun 28, 2009 #1
    Fusion raction produces high energy neutrons which cause activation of the walls of the reactor. Why can't their energy be collected by, for example, a microwave beam?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because neutrons do not respond to electromagnetic radiation at such low energies.

4. Jul 6, 2009 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

Astronuc, just curious: neutrons can respond to EM radiation at high enough energy because of ... the neutron's spin? What else is there?

5. Jul 6, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is the neutron's magnetic moment, as well as the charges of the individual quarks. Not sure which Astronuc had in mind though.

6. Jul 6, 2009 #5

mheslep

Gold Member

Which results from its spin?

7. Jul 7, 2009 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I understand it, it results from the spin and the fact that there is charge within the neutron's structure. If somebody else can confirm my thinking here, it would be appreciated.

8. Jul 7, 2009 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's the internal structure (quarks), magnetic moment and spin - pretty much as expressed by Redbelly.

I was prepared to say that neutrons don't interact with photons, but I've seen some articles on neutron-photon interactions. However, I don't believe there is much in the literature on photon interaction with free-neutrons, or neutrons as condensed matter. I caught one article on optically cooling neutrons, but I can't seem to locate the article.

I was also pondering electro-weak interactions.

I expect that photons have to be of very high energy - high (100's) MeV range - to have an appreciable effect on a neutron. The gamma photons we get from typical radio-nuclides or nuclear reactions have energies on the order of high keV up to <10 MeV.

There was a discussion elsewhere in the forums about photons scattering of protons, as opposed to electrons or positrons, and I expect the cross-section for photon-neutron scattering to less than that of protons.

9. Jul 27, 2009 #8
    Maybe, it's possible to boost the energy of photons by heating them with other gamma beams.
    Are there frequency converters for such wavelengths?

10. Jul 27, 2009 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And now your gammas are activating the walls.

11. Jul 27, 2009 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Photon interaction can occur in nonlinear materials, but those methods and other frequency conversion methods are quite inefficient. You will use up much more energy in the conversion process than you would ever get from the neutrons that are to be captured, so it would be a pointless way of harnessing the neutron's energy.

12. Aug 5, 2009 #11

Substitute photons with protons or hydrogen atoms held in the shell around the reaction chamber?

13. Sep 3, 2009 #12
    introduction first me for ask fusion raction

This is my first post and i am dedicating this to the Introduction Forum as per the forum rules. Before introducing myself, i would just like to thanks the Administrator of this forum for giving me opportunity to join this community.

Now, let me take the opportunity to introduce myself.

Hi, I am Andri Vista Medina from Indonesia & I'm new to this site. I am a new comer & have just put forward my first step in the vast & fast world of Internet & Web.
    I'm positively looking forward to the forum and its members, hope all will guide, share and help me to increase my knowledge.

Fusion raction produces high energy neutrons which cause activation of the walls of the reactor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook