1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical simulations of gravitational effects

1. Oct 11, 2015 #1
    I'm preparing a poster presentation on the following paper for a physics course:
    http://t.co/xiCLV7Y0ZH

I do not understand how figure 4 tells us about the red/blue shift. Just from the deflections of the peaks of the airy beam, as well as the deformation, how are we able to infer that there is a red shift effect?

I tried explaining this to myself by the spatial frequency of the observed peaks, however I realised that a beam that is escaping from a gravitational well should appear red shifted, yet this seemed to imply the opposite. I then realised that we are looking at an intensity distribution, so now I am confused as to how we can infer that a red shift type effect is present

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2015 #2
    This seems quite deep so I'm not sure, but I take figure 4 as the combination of blue shift then red shift which varies in a complex manner relative to beam intensity so the apparent shift would be the difference between the 2? The bottom c,d shows "centered" on 0 shift meaning no displacement, no shift, both high and low intensity beams are not shifted. I'm going to let it sink in for a while and read it again! Quite interesting!

4. Oct 11, 2015 #3
    In the bottom two, they've just shifted the peaks so that they line up to make stretching and squashing effect more apparent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted