Optics: Determine which of the following describe traveling waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the characteristics of waves and the validity of various forms of wave equations. It is established that a valid wave equation should only contain linear terms in its arguments. The use of squares in the equation is not significant and can be considered as part of the function. The direction of travel for a traveling wave is not affected by the presence of squares in the equation.
Shackleford
I'm really rusty on waves. What characteristics am I looking for? With respect to its variables, doesn't a valid wave equation have to contain only linear terms in its argument(s)?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20111009_211512.jpg?t=

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:
I'm really rusty on waves. What characteristics am I looking for? With respect to its variables, doesn't a valid wave equation have to contain only linear terms in its argument(s)?

Yes, a wave has the form f(ax-bt).

ehild

ehild said:
Yes, a wave has the form f(ax-bt).

ehild

Yes, I know that.

It appears (d) is valid, but what about (a), (b), and (c)? I guess I'm not sure what the squares do. Of course, I recognize the form of the equation without the squares.

Last edited:
Having (ax±bt)2 shouldn't matter. The squaring can be considered to be part of function, f .

SammyS said:
Having (ax±bt)2 shouldn't matter. The squaring can be considered to be part of function, f .

Same goes for cos2, too?

Shackleford said:
Same goes for cos2, too?
Yes.

What about (b)? It has az2 - bt2.

If it is a traveling wave, in what direction does it travel? +z or -z?

ehild

1. What is the definition of a traveling wave?

A traveling wave is a type of wave in which the disturbance or energy moves through a medium from one location to another, without displacing the medium itself. It is characterized by a repeating pattern of oscillations or vibrations.

2. How does a traveling wave differ from a standing wave?

A traveling wave moves through a medium, while a standing wave remains in one place. Additionally, a standing wave is created by the interference of two waves traveling in opposite directions, whereas a traveling wave is created by a single disturbance moving through the medium.

3. What are the two types of traveling waves?

The two types of traveling waves are transverse waves and longitudinal waves. In a transverse wave, the particles in the medium move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while in a longitudinal wave, the particles move parallel to the direction of the wave.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength, frequency, and wave speed in a traveling wave?

The wavelength of a traveling wave is the distance between two consecutive points in the wave that are in phase. The frequency is the number of complete cycles of the wave that occur in one second. The wave speed is the distance the wave travels in one second. The relationship between these three quantities is given by the equation: wave speed = wavelength x frequency.

5. How can we determine the direction of a traveling wave?

The direction of a traveling wave can be determined by looking at the direction in which the disturbance or energy is moving through the medium. For example, in a water wave, the direction of the wave is the same as the direction in which the water is moving. In a sound wave, the direction of the wave is the same as the direction in which the air particles are vibrating.