Determining Onto and One-to-One Mappings: Finding Left and Right Inverses

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
In summary, if x is even, the inverse of f(x) is f(-1) because f(x)=x+1. If x is odd, the inverse of f(x) is g(x) = 2x-1.
Shackleford
1&2b and 1&2n.

Basically, if they exist, I need to find the left and right inverses. If the mapping f is onto, then the right inverse exists. If the mapping f is one-to-one, then the left inverse exists.

For the mapping in cases, is my method of determining onto or one-to-one correct?

Sorry for the crappy quality of 1&2n.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110714_194112.jpg?t=1310691220

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110714_194153.jpg?t=1310691321

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110714_194543.jpg?t=1310691331

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shackleford! :smile:

Looks all good! However, for 2n, you never defined what g was...

micromass said:
Hi Shackleford! :smile:

Looks all good! However, for 2n, you never defined what g was...

For x is even, I tried g(x) = x - 1. However, that only works when x - 1 is even.

For x is odd, I tried g(x) = 2x - 1. That works for all x in Z.

Shackleford said:
For x is even, I tried g(x) = x - 1. However, that only works when x - 1 is even.

For x is odd, I tried g(x) = 2x - 1. That works for all x in Z.

Can't you pick g(x)=2x-1 for all x??

micromass said:
Can't you pick g(x)=2x-1 for all x??

I don't think so. The mapping is in cases. If x is even, f(x) = x + 1.

Yes, but g(x) is always odd... So you only need one case to calculate f(g(x)).

micromass said:
Yes, but g(x) is always odd... So you only need one case to calculate f(g(x)).

Yes. I know it works for all x because the odd case gives the onto. However, I was only able to find the inverse from the x is odd case. I tried to find the inverse from the x is even case, it didn't compute because the g(x)= x - 1 is always odd, but it must be even in this case.

What are "Left and Right Inverses" in mathematics?

"Left and Right Inverses" are mathematical concepts that refer to the inverse of a mathematical operation. In other words, they are the numbers or functions that can "undo" the original operation and return the original value. For example, the left inverse of addition is subtraction, and the right inverse of multiplication is division.

What is the difference between a left inverse and a right inverse?

The main difference between a left inverse and a right inverse is the order in which they are applied. A left inverse is applied to the left of the original operation, while a right inverse is applied to the right. For example, the left inverse of addition is subtraction, while the right inverse is addition itself.

Can a mathematical operation have both a left and right inverse?

Yes, a mathematical operation can have both a left and right inverse. In fact, this is a necessary condition for a mathematical operation to be considered "invertible." For example, addition has a left inverse (subtraction) and a right inverse (addition itself), making it an invertible operation.

Are left and right inverses unique?

No, left and right inverses are not always unique. In some cases, there can be multiple left or right inverses for a given mathematical operation. However, if a mathematical operation has both a left and right inverse, then they must be unique.

How are left and right inverses used in real-world applications?

Left and right inverses are used in various real-world applications, such as in cryptography, signal processing, and control systems. They are also an important concept in linear algebra and functional analysis. In these applications, left and right inverses help to "undo" mathematical operations and solve equations, making them a valuable tool in problem-solving and analysis.