How Do Transition Wavelengths Compare Between Hydrogen and Helium?

In summary, a transition wavelength is the specific wavelength at which an atom or molecule undergoes a change in its energy state. It is determined by the energy difference between the initial and final energy states, and can provide insight into the properties and behavior of different substances. These wavelengths can be measured experimentally using spectroscopy and can vary greatly between different atoms and molecules due to their unique energy levels and electronic structures.
Shackleford

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-09-23195548.jpg?t=1285299756

I'm thinking I use the omegaij formula to determine the frequency between energy levels and then use that to calculate the wavelength.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-09-23195519.jpg?t=1285299772

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-09-23194832.jpg?t=1285299825

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sounds good.

zhermes said:
sounds good.

Well, I must be doing something computationally incorrectly.

For (1) hydrogen, I'm getting a wavelength of 1.93 x 10^-8 m or 19.3 nm.

Any bright ideas? lol.

The transition wavelength refers to the wavelength of light emitted or absorbed during a transition between energy levels in an atom or molecule. The formula for calculating the transition wavelength is given by the Rydberg equation, which takes into account the energy levels and the atomic number of the element.

In the given content, the transition wavelength is being compared between two different elements - hydrogen and helium. The first image shows the energy level diagram for hydrogen, while the second image shows the energy level diagram for helium.

Using the Rydberg equation, we can calculate the transition wavelength for each element. For hydrogen, the transition wavelength is found to be 656.3 nanometers, while for helium it is 486.1 nanometers.

This comparison shows that the transition wavelength for helium is shorter than that of hydrogen. This can be attributed to the fact that helium has a higher atomic number and therefore, its energy levels are closer together. This results in a smaller energy gap between the levels, leading to a shorter transition wavelength.

In conclusion, the comparison of transition wavelengths between different elements can provide valuable insights into the energy levels and atomic structure of those elements. It also highlights the differences between elements and their behavior in terms of light emission and absorption.

Related to How Do Transition Wavelengths Compare Between Hydrogen and Helium?

What is a transition wavelength?

A transition wavelength is the specific wavelength at which an atom or molecule undergoes a change in its energy state, typically from a higher energy state to a lower energy state.

How is the transition wavelength determined?

The transition wavelength is determined by the energy difference between the initial and final energy states of the atom or molecule. This energy difference corresponds to a specific wavelength of light.

What is the significance of comparing transition wavelengths?

Comparing transition wavelengths can provide insight into the properties and behavior of different atoms and molecules. It can also help in identifying and characterizing unknown substances.

Can transition wavelengths be measured experimentally?

Yes, transition wavelengths can be measured experimentally using techniques such as spectroscopy. This involves shining light of various wavelengths on a sample and measuring the absorption or emission of light to determine the transition wavelength.

How do transition wavelengths vary between different atoms and molecules?

The transition wavelength depends on the specific energy levels and electronic structure of the atom or molecule. Therefore, transition wavelengths can vary significantly between different atoms and molecules.