1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics Problem - light passing through 3 mediums

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. Light propagating from water into air is incident on the water surface at the angle of total internal reflection. (a-int = 48.75 degrees) A plane parallel glass plate (n-glass = 1.5) is brought into contact with the surface of the water. Calculate the angle 'alpha-external' (a-ext for notation simplicity) between the top surface of the glass plate and the direction at which the light will emerge from the glass plate.

n-air = 1
    n-water = 1.33
    n-glass = 1.5

2. (n-water)(sin(Theta-water)) = (n-glass)(sin(theta-glass)), (n-glass)(sin(theta-glass)) = (n-air)(sin(theta-air))

3. I have combined the two equations to get:

sin(theta-air) = (n-air/n-water)sin(a-int)

where by not needing to take into account the refractive index n-glass. this gives me a value of:

(theta-air) = 48.75, so 90-(theta-air) = a-ext = 41.25

I have then made the calculations separately for each barrier and came out with a value of 1.1 for a-ext? Could anyone verify if either of these solutions are correct?

The question then goes on to ask what happens if (n-glass) = 1.2, 1.4 and 2. So i presume i must take into consideration the glass block overall, and my first attempt at combining the 2 snell equations is incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

2. (n-water)(sin(Theta-water)) = (n-glass)(sin(theta-glass)), (n-glass)(sin(theta-glass)) = (n-air)(sin(theta-air))
    This formula is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook