Optics Question -- small glass spheres to couple to fiber optic cables

In summary, according to the given information, Snell's law can be used to calculate the angle of the refracted ray, and the height it leaves the sphere.
izelkay

Homework Statement

hAvPSJM.png

Homework Equations

I know that yin = 0.7mm, y2 = 0mm, the index of refraction for the sphere is 1.8 and the indices of refraction for the air surrounding it is 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to even begin with the given information. I was thinking I could ray-transfer matrix analysis, but how would I set that up for this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
What equation comes to mind when one is dealing with refraction between two media?

blue_leaf77 said:
What equation comes to mind when one is dealing with refraction between two media?
Snell's Law: n1sinθ1 = n2sin2
But how would I find θ1?

For the first refraction, try to draw a line from the sphere center to the entrance point of the incoming ray. You may not need to calculate ##\theta_1##, from the geometry it may be possible to get ##\sin \theta_1## directly in terms of the known data.

blue_leaf77 said:
For the first refraction, try to draw a line from the sphere center to the entrance point of the incoming ray. You may not need to calculate ##\theta_1##, from the geometry it may be possible to get ##\sin \theta_1## directly in terms of the known data.
Okay I've determined that sinθ1 = 0.7. Using Snell's law, the refracted ray inside the sphere's
θ2 = sin-1(0.7/1.8) = 22.8854°.

But then how do I get the angle of the incident ray when it exits the sphere? I'm just not seeing the geometry.

izelkay said:
But then how do I get the angle of the incident ray when it exits the sphere? I'm just not seeing the geometry.
Now connect three points, the entrance point, exit point, and sphere center, what kind of triangle do you get?

blue_leaf77 said:
Now connect three points, the entrance point, exit point, and sphere center, what kind of triangle do you get?
An isosceles triangle. So the angle of the incident ray angle when it exits the sphere is the same as the refracted angle when it enters the sphere, θ2 = θ3 = 22.8854°. Trying to find the height it leaves the sphere now, I cut the triangle in two and using the refracted angle and radius, determine that the distance the ray traveled in the sphere is 1.84257 mm. The bottom angle of the isosceles angle is 180-22.8854°-22.8854° = 134.229°

If I draw a line straight from where the ray left the sphere I can determine the height. Using the geometry of the line, the left angle of this triangle should be 180° - θ1 - 134.229° = 1.34376° Then the height is 1mm*sin(1.34376°) = 0.023451 mm.

Is that correct so far? The height seems too small to me.

I think you are correct.

Likes izelkay
blue_leaf77 said:
I think you are correct.
Okay, and then I can use snell's law again to determine, θ4, the refracted exit ray's angle. Then I can say 0.023451mm*tan(θ4) = f [mm]

izelkay said:
Okay, and then I can use snell's law again to determine, θ4, the refracted exit ray's angle. Then I can say 0.023451mm*tan(θ4) = f [mm]
Oh that's not quite right. I need to take 180 - θ4 - upper angle of height triangle from before. Then I can say 0.023451mm*tan(θ) = f [mm], and I'm getting 0.0025 mm as the focal length.

izelkay said:
0.0025 mm as the focal length
I guess you put one zero more than it is needed behind the decimal.

blue_leaf77 said:
I guess you put one zero more than it is needed behind the decimal.
Yep my mistake, 0.025 mm. Thanks for your help; much appreciated.

1. How do small glass spheres couple to fiber optic cables?

Small glass spheres are used to couple to fiber optic cables through a process called ball lensing. This involves placing the sphere between the fiber optic cable and the light source, allowing the light to pass through the sphere and into the fiber optic cable. The spherical shape of the glass sphere helps to efficiently couple the light into the cable.

2. What is the purpose of using small glass spheres in fiber optic communication?

The use of small glass spheres in fiber optic communication helps to improve the efficiency and accuracy of transferring light signals through the cable. The spherical shape of the glass sphere allows for better coupling of the light, resulting in less signal loss and stronger transmission.

3. How are the small glass spheres manufactured?

Small glass spheres used in fiber optic communication are typically manufactured through a process called flame fusion. This involves melting small pieces of glass in a flame and allowing them to form into a spherical shape. The spheres are then polished to create a smooth surface for efficient light transmission.

4. Can the size of the glass spheres impact their performance in fiber optic communication?

Yes, the size of the glass spheres can impact their performance in fiber optic communication. Generally, smaller spheres are more effective in coupling light into the fiber optic cable as they have a higher surface area to volume ratio. However, the size of the sphere also depends on the size of the fiber optic cable and the light source being used.

5. Are there any limitations to using small glass spheres in fiber optic communication?

While small glass spheres can greatly improve the efficiency of fiber optic communication, there are some limitations to their use. For example, the spheres must be aligned precisely with the light source and fiber optic cable for optimal performance. Additionally, the spheres may become damaged or misaligned over time, requiring regular maintenance to ensure proper functioning.