In summary, the maximum angle of incidence for a laser beam to not escape from a straight optical fiber with an index of refraction of 1.23 in air (index of refraction of 1.00) is 45.7°. This can be determined by finding the critical angle for total reflection at the interface between the fiber and air, and then using Snell's Law to calculate the angle of incidence from the air into the fiber.
SnowAnd38Below

Homework Statement

Given a "new type" of optical fiber (index of refraction n = 1.23), a laser beam is incident on the flat end of a straight fiber in air. Assume nair = 1.00. What is the maximum angle of incidence Ø1 if the beam is not to escape from the fiber? (See attached file for diagram).

Homework Equations

Snell's Law: n1*sin(Ø1) = n2*sin(Ø2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 45.7°, I just can't seem to generate it. For the beam not to escape from the fiber, the angle of incidence must be the critical angle, such that Ø2=90° (or sin(Ø2)=1). But I don't know if I'm supposed to try to find the critical angle, then work backwards to find the initial angle of incidence from the air into the fiber or not. There's no cladding to consider in this problem, so I'm just very confused.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 3.19.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 3.19.11 PM.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 800
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you've defined ##θ_2## as the angle between the normal and the beam inside the fibre, this doesn't have to be 90°, as the beam can be reflected off the inside edge of the fibre without escaping. Indeed, if it did have to be 90°, fibres wouldn't work round corners. Revise the definition of critical angle in optics, and it should be clearer how to get the right answer.

I guess I didn't explain my attempt very well. I was trying to treat the problem with Snell's Law twice; once for the beam entering the fiber from the air, and a second time for refracting in the fiber such that the second angle of incidence is the critical angle, guaranteeing full reflection of the beam back into the fiber.

SnowAnd38Below said:
I guess I didn't explain my attempt very well. I was trying to treat the problem with Snell's Law twice; once for the beam entering the fiber from the air, and a second time for refracting in the fiber such that the second angle of incidence is the critical angle, guaranteeing full reflection of the beam back into the fiber.
Yes, it will do. Find the critical angle for total reflection for the interface fibre-air, then backwards the angle of reflection at the front surface and from that, the angle of incidence.

What is refraction through an optical fiber?

Refraction through an optical fiber is the phenomenon of light bending as it travels through a transparent medium, such as glass or plastic, with varying refractive indices. This allows the light to be transmitted through the fiber, allowing for efficient communication and data transfer.

How does refraction through an optical fiber work?

When light enters an optical fiber, it travels through the core of the fiber, which has a higher refractive index than the cladding surrounding it. This causes the light to reflect off the walls of the fiber, continuously bouncing and traveling through the fiber until it reaches the other end.

What is the critical angle in refraction through an optical fiber?

The critical angle in refraction through an optical fiber is the angle at which light is no longer able to pass through the fiber and is instead reflected back into the core. This angle is dependent on the refractive indices of the core and cladding materials.

What are some applications of refraction through an optical fiber?

Optical fibers are commonly used in telecommunication systems, allowing for the transmission of data over long distances with minimal loss of signal. They are also used in medical imaging, such as endoscopes, and in various sensing applications.

What factors affect refraction through an optical fiber?

The refractive indices of the core and cladding materials, the angle of incidence of the light, and the wavelength of the light all affect refraction through an optical fiber. The quality and purity of the materials used in the fiber also play a role in determining the efficiency of the refraction process.