1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total internal reflection inside a fiber optic cable

1. Jul 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A multi-mode fiber optic cable has a core diameter d = 115 mm, ncore = 1.42, and ncladding = 1.17. What is the largest possible angle θin relative to the surface normal that light can enter the fiber (i.e. pass from air into the fiber core) and experience total internal reflection inside the fiber?

2. Relevant equations

sinθc=n2/n1

ncladdingθ1=ncoreθ2

3. The attempt at a solution
    d = 115 mm
    ncore = 1.42
    ncladding = 1.17
    θin=?

Do I have the correct equations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2013 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Is the end of this optical fibre squared off , like a cylinder, or basically hemispherical, like many of these fires are when created?

Also I like to match subscripts, to avoid losing track of which angle you are calculating, so I would write either:

ncladdingsinθcladding=ncoresinθcore

or

n1sinθ1=n2sinθ2

Having established [written down] that medium 1 was the cladding and material 2 was the core.

(and you seem to have left the sin out - though if the angles involved are small you can approximate sinθ to θ

4. Jul 17, 2013 #3
    ncladdingsinθcladding=ncoresinθcore

1.17sinθcladding=1.42sinθcore

How do I find the angles?

5. Jul 17, 2013 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

For T.I.R. the angle of refraction is set at 90o so one of those angles is 90o.

Which one do you think that might be.

Hint: if you pick the wrong one, the problem gives no real solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted