(Optics) Vignetting and field of view

In summary: Therefore, the unvignetted field of view (in half-angle terms) is 0.63 degrees.For the fully vignetted field of view, we need to consider the rays that go through the edge of the stop. These are given by setting ##y_t=20, y_b=-20##, which works out to be ##h=\pm 100## (the plus case is just like before, but with the stop and lens swapped). So the fully vignetted field of view is ##\tan^{-1}(100/240)=21.8## degrees. In summary, the unvignetted field of view is 0.63 degrees in terms of half field angle, and for a 5
Aelo

Homework Statement

An 80 mm focal length thin lens is used to image an object with a magnification of -1/2.
The lens diameter is 25 mm and a stop of diameter 20 mm is located 40 mm in front of the lens.
How big is the unvignetted field of view [in terms of object size (in mm) and in terms of half field angle]?
How big is the fully vignetted field of view?

Homework Equations

Magnification = l'/l (coupling this with the focal length, we can find the object and image distances)
Vignetting equations attached

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn a picture and looked at http://spie.org/x32310.xml. I found that l' = -240 mm and l = 120 mm. I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks in advance for help!

Attachments

• vignetting.png
    vignetting.png
    17 KB · Views: 949
Physics news on Phys.org
The object/image distances are the wrong way round - as quoted they give a magnification of -2. Correcting that, I agree the values.

"Vignetting" is what happens when the bundle of rays that make it through one optical element don't all make it through the next.

I'm not sure from the description whether we've got object-stop-lens-image or object-lens-stop-image. I'm assuming the former, but extending the argument to the latter isn't hard. In this case, it's convenient to treat the object as positioned at x=0, the stop at x=200 and the lens at x=240. For a point on the object a distance ##h## off axis, it is easy to write down the equations of the rays that pass through the top and bottom of the stop:$$\begin{eqnarray*}
y_t&=&h-\frac{h-10}{200}x\\
y_b&=&h-\frac{h+10}{200}x
\end{eqnarray*}$$Then all you have to do is work out the height of the rays at the position of the lens (x=240):$$\begin{eqnarray*}
y_t&=&12-h/5\\
y_b&=&-12-h/5
\end{eqnarray*}$$and require that they pass through the 25mm diameter lens:$$\begin{array}{rcccl}
-12.5&\leq&12-h/5&\leq&12.5 \\
-12.5&\leq&-12-h/5&\leq&12.5
\end{array}$$
Which comes down to:$$\begin{array}{rcccl}
-0.5&\leq&h/5&\leq&24.5\\
-24.5&\leq&h/5&\leq&0.5
\end{array}$$We require all four of these conditions to be satisfied simultaneously, i.e. ##-0.5\leq h/5\leq 0.5##, or ##-2.5\leq h'\leq 2.5##. So a 5mm object centred in the field of view is not quite affected by vignetting.

In half-angle terms the field of view is simply ##\tan^{-1}(2.5/240)##, the angle subtended by ##h## at the center of the lens.

1. What is vignetting in optics?

Vignetting in optics is the darkening or dimming of the corners of an image due to the optical limitations of the lens. This can occur when the lens is not able to fully capture and transmit light to the edges of the sensor or film.

2. How does vignetting affect the field of view?

Vignetting can decrease the field of view by reducing the amount of light reaching the edges of the image, resulting in a darker and narrower image. This can also cause a decrease in overall image quality and sharpness.

3. What causes vignetting in optics?

Vignetting is caused by several factors including the design and quality of the lens, the size and shape of the lens aperture, and the distance between the lens and the sensor or film. It can also be caused by using lens filters or hoods that are too small for the lens.

4. How can vignetting be corrected?

Vignetting can be corrected in post-processing by using software tools to brighten the corners of the image. In some cases, using a larger lens hood or a higher quality lens can also help reduce or eliminate vignetting.

5. Is vignetting always a bad thing?

No, vignetting can sometimes be used creatively in photography to draw attention to the subject in the center of the image. However, it is generally considered a flaw in most situations and efforts are made to minimize it in professional photography.