Optimal number of times of brushing teeth?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teeth
In summary: Ember gets her teeth brushed, but I forget a lot. I aim for once a week, but usually it's more like once every two weeks or once a month. ...Most people brush twice. I'm lazy and only brush once or when I remember. My teeth are fine and I have no fillings or any other major dental work. I could just be blessed with very strong teeth.Most people brush twice. I'm lazy and only brush once or when I remember. My teeth are fine and I have no fillings or any other major dental work. I could just be blessed with very strong teeth.

Brush teeth how many times per day is optimal?

Votes: 2 9.1%

Votes: 14 63.6%

Votes: 3 13.6%

Votes: 1 4.5%

• 6+

• Total voters
tgt
How many times per day for optimal number? And when to do it each day? Why? Assume convenience is equal for all options.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you brush too much, you can brush away your gums. At least that's what a dentist told me a while ago. I'd think it also depends on your diet. Without lots of soda and sugar in your diet I'd think 1/day would be sufficient?

Twice I'd say. Once in the morning, one just before bedtime. Doing it just before bedtime greatly diminishes the urge to snack at midnight.

I brush 2 times, morning and night, and floss every morning too.

Most people brush twice. I'm lazy and only brush once or when I remember. My teeth are fine and I have no fillings or any other major dental work. I could just be blessed with very strong teeth.

Best is right after you eat.

I don't follow that, though. I only brush twice a day and floss once a day.

I've seen people who bring their tootbrush to work and brush in the bathroom, after lunch. I only brush 2 times a day.

Twice for me, unless I'm really tired or don't feel like it. I floss after I eat food that gets stuck in my teeth.

I voted for 6+. Once after each meal.

I just noticed there's a slight problem with your poll. There's no option for 0.

God Bless You, Mr Rosewater.

BobG said:
I just noticed there's a slight problem with your poll. There's no option for 0.

That's because I've witnessed someone who brushed 0 times a day for a month or so and ended up getting a large cavity and tooth ache so it can't be optimal.

Ahh just ignore your teeth and they will go away.

tgt said:
That's because I've witnessed someone who brushed 0 times a day for a month or so and ended up getting a large cavity and tooth ache so it can't be optimal.

Psshh! My cats have never brushed their teeth and I haven't seen any problem with them. And don't tell me that doesn't apply to PF members. I've actually seen photos of Moonbear's cat reading PF posts. I can't find any posts by her, though. I think her username is Ember, but I might be wrong.

I do brush my dog's teeth, but only once a day.

BobG said:
Psshh! My cats have never brushed their teeth and I haven't seen any problem with them. And don't tell me that doesn't apply to PF members. I've actually seen photos of Moonbear's cat reading PF posts. I can't find any posts by her, though. I think her username is Ember, but I might be wrong.

Evo's cat, Dr. Foofer has an account here and used to post. I don't think he brushes or flosses.
I do brush my dog's teeth, but only once a day.

Your dog has her own toothbrush, right? :uhh:

Kurdt said:
I'm lazy and only brush once or when I remember.

How often do you remember?? At least once a week I pray!

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
How often do you remember?? At least once a week??

Normally when I'm in bed and I feel my teeth are furry. Then I think "I really should brush them".

Math Is Hard said:
Evo's cat, Dr. Foofer has an account here and used to post. I don't think he brushes or flosses.

Your dog has her own toothbrush, right? :uhh:

Of course! And her own toothpaste. I keep hoping my son will steal hers by mistake when he runs out. Usually he let's me know he's out of toothpaste by stealing mine.

I brush after each meal and before kissing...:blushing:

larkspur said:

Imagine her poor bf...

20 minutes after eating, he finds himself starting to pucker and doesn't know why.

larkspur said:

Are you sure that even after you brush your teeth and enter 'kissing', some time later it smells better still ? :rofl:

Twice a day for me. I just use an electric toothbrush. Feels so good on my teeth and noticeable differences.

I only brush my teeth whenever I remember to do so.
But I almost forget it during the day until bedtime. :yuck:

DaveC426913 said:
Imagine her poor bf...

20 minutes after eating, he finds himself starting to pucker and doesn't know why.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BobG said:

Ember gets her teeth brushed, but I forget a lot. I aim for once a week, but usually it's more like once every two weeks or once a month. :frown:

wow, you Americans are obsessed with brushing. We buy bones for our dogs and cats just look after themselves.

Kurdt said:
wow, you Americans are obsessed with brushing. We buy bones for our dogs and cats just look after themselves.

She gets crunchy food, which is why she doesn't need brushing very often. But, have you ever looked into the mouth of an older dog or cat? They do need brushing. Bones just don't quite cut it. A lot of what "dog breath" is is bad teeth and gum disease. You'll notice that young dogs with healthy teeth don't have that smell.

They don't really need the insides of the teeth brushed, but the outside, where their tongue doesn't rub their teeth clean does need brushing. They make enzyme toothpastes in cat and dog friendly flavors (like chicken, malt, etc) that you can use. Even if you don't accomplish a lot of brushing on an uncooperative cat or dog, the enzymes will help clean their teeth just by getting the toothpaste in their mouth (it's all swallowable, not like human toothpaste that you need to spit out).

Weird. Our last dog Emma never had hers brushed and they were perfectly white up until the day she died. People used to comment on how white her teeth were. She didn't really have dog breath either. Suppose it helps if you don't feed them any human sugary crap.

Kurdt said:

Nonsense. Total nonsense. You should familiarize yourself with a more diverse set of cultural experiences before you draw such conclusions: http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~thompsoc/Body.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the recommended number of times to brush teeth per day?

The American Dental Association recommends brushing your teeth twice a day, once in the morning and once at night before bed.

2. Is it necessary to brush teeth after every meal?

While it is ideal to brush after every meal, it is not always necessary. Brushing twice a day is sufficient for maintaining good oral hygiene.

3. Can brushing too much be harmful for teeth?

Yes, brushing too vigorously or too often can damage the enamel on your teeth and cause gum irritation. It is important to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a gentle brushing motion.

4. Is it better to brush before or after breakfast?

It is recommended to brush your teeth before breakfast to remove any plaque or bacteria that may have accumulated overnight. However, if you eat or drink something acidic, it is best to wait 30 minutes before brushing to avoid damaging your enamel.

5. What is the optimal duration for brushing teeth?

The optimal duration for brushing teeth is two minutes. This allows enough time to thoroughly clean all surfaces of the teeth and remove plaque and bacteria.