1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimisation of a cylindrical container

1. Jun 27, 2006 #1
    Hey
    I am given the set volume for a cylindrical container and separating pricing for the material used to construct the container, the base and the side wall. The ends of the container cost $0.05 per cm2 and the side walls $0.04 cm2, and the volume is 400 mL. The question asks: What is the best design for the container i.e., measurements to ensure that cost is at a minimum.

my working:
    V = 400 mL
    Ends costs $0.05 per cm2
    Side wall costs $0.04 cm2
    Area of ends = [tex]2 \pi r^2[/tex]
    Area of side wall [tex]2 \pi r h[/tex]
    V = 400, therefore since V = [tex]\pi r^2 h[/tex], [tex]h = \frac{400}{\pi r^2}[/tex] (1)
    Cost for one container = [tex]0.05 (2 \pi r^2) + 0.04 (2 \pi r h)[/tex] (2)
    Therefore substituting (1) into (2), cost = [tex]0.05 (2 \pi r^2) + 0.04 (2 \pi r \frac{400}{\pi r^2})[/tex]
    Differentiating the cost function gives: [tex]\frac {dC}{dr} = 0.2 \pi r + \frac {96}{r^2}[/tex]
    The value of [tex]r[/tex] where there is no rate of change = -5.34601847

I am not sure if what I have done after and including the differentiation is correct. Since I have got a negative answer for the value of r, I am thinking that what I have done is wrong, as you cannot have a negative radius. Would the second derivative help with the sloving this equation, if so how?
    Many thanks,
    Pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Go ahead and write this out: cost= [tex]0.1 \pi r^2+ \frac{32}{r}[/itex]
    Not quite. It gives [tex]\frac{dC}{dr}= 0.2 \pi r- \frac{64}{r^2}[/tex].
    Notice the negative sign! The derivative of r-1 is -r-2.

You should have [tex]r^3= \frac{0.2 \pi}{32}[/tex].

4. Jun 28, 2006 #3
    oh i sorta get it now, well at least more than before, thanks

5. Jun 28, 2006 #4
    thanks for the reply, however im not sure how u got the derivitive of the cost being equal to [tex]\frac{dC}{dr}= 0.2 \pi r- \frac{64}{r^2}[/tex]. Im not sure on how to achieve the value of 64 as i get a value of 32. My derrivitive: [tex]\frac{dC}{dr}= 0.2 \pi r- \frac{32}{r^2}[/tex]. Could u please explain how this is achieved? help greatly appriciated
    Pavadrin

6. Jun 28, 2006 #5
    Yes, I think that was a typo from Halls .

7. Jun 28, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, just stupidity!

8. Jun 28, 2006 #7
    okay, fair enough, we all make mistakes sooner or later
    thanks anyhow

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?