Optimisation of a cylindrical container

In summary, the best design for a cylindrical container is one that has ends that cost $0.05 per cm2 and side walls that cost $0.04 cm2. This will result in a cost of $0.10 per cm2 for the container.
pavadrin
Hey
I am given the set volume for a cylindrical container and separating pricing for the material used to construct the container, the base and the side wall. The ends of the container cost $0.05 per cm2 and the side walls $0.04 cm2, and the volume is 400 mL. The question asks: What is the best design for the container i.e., measurements to ensure that cost is at a minimum.

my working:
V = 400 mL
Ends costs $0.05 per cm2
Side wall costs $0.04 cm2
Area of ends = [tex]2 \pi r^2[/tex]
Area of side wall [tex]2 \pi r h[/tex]
V = 400, therefore since V = [tex]\pi r^2 h[/tex], [tex]h = \frac{400}{\pi r^2}[/tex] (1)
Cost for one container = [tex]0.05 (2 \pi r^2) + 0.04 (2 \pi r h)[/tex] (2)
Therefore substituting (1) into (2), cost = [tex]0.05 (2 \pi r^2) + 0.04 (2 \pi r \frac{400}{\pi r^2})[/tex]
Differentiating the cost function gives: [tex]\frac {dC}{dr} = 0.2 \pi r + \frac {96}{r^2}[/tex]
The value of [tex]r[/tex] where there is no rate of change = -5.34601847

I am not sure if what I have done after and including the differentiation is correct. Since I have got a negative answer for the value of r, I am thinking that what I have done is wrong, as you cannot have a negative radius. Would the second derivative help with the sloving this equation, if so how?
Many thanks,
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
pavadrin said:
Hey
I am given the set volume for a cylindrical container and separating pricing for the material used to construct the container, the base and the side wall. The ends of the container cost $0.05 per cm2 and the side walls $0.04 cm2, and the volume is 400 mL. The question asks: What is the best design for the container i.e., measurements to ensure that cost is at a minimum.

my working:
V = 400 mL
Ends costs $0.05 per cm2
Side wall costs $0.04 cm2
Area of ends = [tex]2 \pi r^2[/tex]
Area of side wall [tex]2 \pi r h[/tex]
V = 400, therefore since V = [tex]\pi r^2 h[/tex], [tex]h = \frac{400}{\pi r^2}[/tex] (1)
Cost for one container = [tex]0.05 (2 \pi r^2) + 0.04 (2 \pi r h)[/tex] (2)
Therefore substituting (1) into (2), cost = [tex]0.05 (2 \pi r^2) + 0.04 (2 \pi r \frac{400}{\pi r^2})[/tex]
Go ahead and write this out: cost= [tex]0.1 \pi r^2+ \frac{32}{r}[/itex]
Differentiating the cost function gives: [tex]\frac {dC}{dr} = 0.2 \pi r + \frac {96}{r^2}[/tex]
Not quite. It gives [tex]\frac{dC}{dr}= 0.2 \pi r- \frac{64}{r^2}[/tex].
Notice the negative sign! The derivative of r-1 is -r-2.

The value of [tex]r[/tex] where there is no rate of change = -5.34601847

I am not sure if what I have done after and including the differentiation is correct. Since I have got a negative answer for the value of r, I am thinking that what I have done is wrong, as you cannot have a negative radius. Would the second derivative help with the sloving this equation, if so how?
Many thanks,
Pavadrin

You should have [tex]r^3= \frac{0.2 \pi}{32}[/tex].

oh i sort of get it now, well at least more than before, thanks

thanks for the reply, however I am not sure how u got the derivitive of the cost being equal to [tex]\frac{dC}{dr}= 0.2 \pi r- \frac{64}{r^2}[/tex]. I am not sure on how to achieve the value of 64 as i get a value of 32. My derrivitive: [tex]\frac{dC}{dr}= 0.2 \pi r- \frac{32}{r^2}[/tex]. Could u please explain how this is achieved? help greatly appriciated
Pavadrin

Yes, I think that was a typo from Halls .

No, just stupidity!

okay, fair enough, we all make mistakes sooner or later
thanks anyhow

1. What is the purpose of optimising a cylindrical container?

The purpose of optimising a cylindrical container is to improve its efficiency and effectiveness in storing or containing a certain substance or material. This can include increasing its capacity, reducing material wastage, or improving its structural integrity.

2. What factors should be considered when optimising a cylindrical container?

Factors that should be considered when optimising a cylindrical container include the material used, the size and shape of the container, the intended use, and any environmental or safety requirements.

3. How can mathematical modelling be used in optimising a cylindrical container?

Mathematical modelling can be used to simulate and analyze different design options for a cylindrical container. This can help determine the optimal dimensions, materials, and other factors to achieve the desired outcome.

4. What are the potential benefits of optimising a cylindrical container?

The benefits of optimising a cylindrical container include cost savings, improved efficiency and productivity, better use of resources, and potentially reducing the environmental impact of the container's production and use.

5. Are there any drawbacks to optimising a cylindrical container?

One potential drawback of optimising a cylindrical container is that it may require additional time and resources for research and development. There may also be trade-offs between different design considerations, such as cost versus durability, that need to be carefully evaluated.